SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocdeverything

Renovation: Half the yard this fall, other half early next spring

OCDeverything
12 years ago

Last fall I killed off the unwanted grasses (early August) and seeded/overseeded (early Sept). It was a great renovation. By the last cut at the beginning of December, the lawn was a showpiece. Then came the new (small) dog a week later. We played on the lawn all winter, but we were careful. We did not walk on it during frost periods or when wet. We used common sense. The grass was just too young to handle the repeated abuse during the dormant winter period.

This spring most of the grass planted last fall barely came back. It just wasn't strong enough to take abuse. What did survive, looks great, but the areas that did not survive were filled in with unwanted grassed by mother nature. By now, the unwanted grasses have taken over most of the yard.

I have had amazing success with sod so I am going to use that method. I will not use seed. What I want to do is spray roundup on the entire area in early August. I want to sod half the yard in early September and rope it off, leaving it untouched from human traffic until the very early spring when the weather is right. We will have to deal with a dirt yard to play on for 6 months. At that point I will flip flop and sod the other half, rope it off, and leave it untouched from traffic for about two months, depending on many factors (weather, etc...). Get what I'm trying to do here? Thoughts, opinions?

Comments (2)