SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Preparing for Back Yard Overhaul Next Year

dianepmt
16 years ago

Finally happy with a really nice front garden, got some free paver bricks that I made a border with, it all turned out really nice.

Next spring, hopefully, on to the back yard. It's half weeds (mostly dandelions) and half lawn, very wavy, uneven surface, chain link fence which I'm hoping to find an alternative to, small urban lot.

We plan to remove the entire lawn and just do groupings of drought tolerant plantings, with some hardscape or even just mulched or gravel paths. A lot will be determined by cash flow and budget, and it will probably be an ongoing project for the next few years.

Aside from chemicals (not an option), any suggestions on the most efficient way to remove all the sod and weeds and level the turf? For whatever reason, it all sits a good 8 inches higher than our neighbors on one side, there is even a strip of metal at the chain link kind of holding our higher ground in in certain spots. So we could stand to lose some height (and may have to if we replace that chain linkl with a new fence.

I read something once about laying down newspaper for a period of time to kill everything, but I'm assuming not over a Michigan winter? Should we rent equipment to dig it up thoroughly (rototiller?), or leave this part to the pros? It was quite a job for me just expanding the front bed with a shovel, and I'm not keen on digging up the whole back yard by hand. Probably not the right tool for the job.

I'm also wondering if we should start now, or wait till the Spring when we are prepared to start planting. I haven't had very good luck with Fall planting of perennials, so thought I'd play it safe and start in the Spring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Comments (15)