SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickl144

Preparing for next year's JBs

rickl144
16 years ago

Hi folks,

Having squashed, on 9/28/07, what I hope are my last two Japanese Beetles of 2007 (they started on 6/20!), I am trying to take whatever steps I can to minimize their impact on my roses next year. I put down Milky Spore in mid-August, and last week planted a few peony bushes near the rose beds to attract Tiphia wasps.

Since the above steps will have delayed effects at best, I was thinking I might also spread some Bayer Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf granules (imidacloprid [Merit] plus cyfluthrin) around the rose plantings this Fall, to be sure the bushes have a chance to take up the systematics before the beetles come again next year. But I am not sure if this is a good idea - many of my roses are pretty small, having been planted earlier this year as bands. I thought it might be better to leave them alone for the winter, and put down the Bayer granules in early Spring.

What do you all think? Is this as good a plan as any, or can it be improved? I tried the organic route this year, using Gardens Alive! liquid rotenone/pyrethrin spray on an almost daily basis, but found it hardly made a dent in the hordes that descended on Mister Lincoln and his brothers and sisters. The daily spraying took way too much time - the rotenone/pyrethrin spray seemed to have ZERO residual deterent effect, killing any beetles directly hit, but that's it. If I sprayed in the morning before going to work, my new blooms were a writhing mass of metallic bodies by the time I got home in the late afternoon.

Thanks,

Rick

Comments (11)