SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomasa510

Need Help Preparing for My First Garden (Next Year)

thomasa510
10 years ago

I'm not exactly new to gardening, as my parents always have had a garden (with fanatical composting habits) and I always knew when I finally bought a house I would start one as well.

I am buying my first home (Long Island) but won't move in until late September. Luckily this home has a huge yard, with areas in full sun and shade. The old owner had a decent size vegetable garden already and I am looking to expand it significantly. I have room to expand the full sun and shade spots.

From my gardening experience I know certain plants do well on LI; particularly berries and the tomato/pepper/herb staples. Am considering a host of other fruit trees and vegetables as well. I love to cook and eat and trying to get a really productive garden going with tons of fresh fruits and vegetables that I can preserve or simply consume.

My question is, what would you recommend for me to do in the initial year when I move in? Since September will be a bit too late for the current season, I would like to start getting prepared for next year.

Would you dig up grass for next season's garden or wait till the spring thaw? I will certainly test the soil for ph content as soon as I can to see. Should I work on improving the soil quality over the winter or should I just wait for next year?

Any tips would be great and well appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County