SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

OT: Back patio and "hell strip"

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo to show of the area just off our recently-bricked back patio. There's a small strip between two back walls of the house that extend a bit further out from the patio, beneath the overhang of the roof, where the grass just doesn't seem to want to grow. A "hell strip", if you will. I'm thinking that an easy solution might be to fill in that strip with pea gravel, and add a couple of flagstones leading out to the grassy yard. (It's a very small yard as it is, and that's fine with us.) I've been wanting a hammock for napping outdoors, and I think the gravel would be the perfect spot for it. It would also be a good location to add a couple of potted plants that can survive on indirect light.

DH is concerned, however, that the mowing crew will either inadvertently run their mower over the gravel, or somehow their mower will pick it up and fling it towards a window. Is this really a concern? If so, is there a good way to prevent it from happening? We could look at some way to edge the pea gravel in, but then I'd be concerned about the potential for the edging to be a tripping hazard as one is walking out into the grass.

I've done another one of my Poor-Man's Photoshop mockups (i.e., cut-and-paste in MS Word), and hopefully it will portray what I'm trying to convey.

FYI, we currently have the white chairs and table (wouldn't have been my first choice, but they were given to us and I wasn't going to sneeze at freebies that are actually nice pieces - just not my preferred style), as well as the small fountain on the wall on the right. Have a couple of plants already out here as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion other than pea gravel? -- Although I've always liked the look of it, just not sure if there's a better alternative to consider.

Comments (74)