SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

OT: Sweat Equity. Huh? (Very long, as usual)

CEFreeman
11 years ago

So.
After 5 years I filed for divorce.
Figured since DH never finished anything in his life. As far as I know, he wasn't going to finish this, either. I didn't have the money, and I didn't DO THIS, so I didn't want to have to come up with several $1000s. Yet again, though, I must finish his mess.

Fast forward:
He's threatening to force a sale on my triple underwater home if I hold him to his signed and notorized agreement taking responsibility for 1/2 of our $643000.00 debt. All in my name. Essentially, he's claiming 1) he gave me the house, and 2) he's contributed "substantial sweat equity" in the property.

Since he walked and left me with all this debt (I did mention "in my name", didn't I?), I didn't have any choice in the matter as to where 7 cats, 3 dogs and I should live.

Ok. Since our 2005 fire, and 1/3/07, he did reframe the walls in the house.
He ran wiring & installed outlets in a few places (since scorching up the wall).
He installed a toilet and shower.
When he thought he was going to move into the 2nd bedroom in '08, he did (almost) finish the hard wood floors.

However, it's not like we agreed he should go live with his slimy handicapped,(who suddenly becomes amazingly helpless when he's around or wants his attention) illegal immigrant, client girlfriend and I'd just take care of everything else. Frankly, like I have with everything else in our marriage, I guess.

And I should be [simper] happy to have my construction site, total financial ruin, no retirement (anymore), and the $64300.00 of deliquent debt & judgements. Sure. I got the great end to this deal. And, I have the privledge of being a waitress at 54 years old -- thank GOD I really do love my job, because I'm going to work until I die.

So. After this rant, I'm wondering how much you think it would cost to store:
about 200 lf of cabinetry,
my reach-in freezer,
my butcher block counter tops I built,
my CL kitchen of stove, fridge, DW, & microwave,
32 solar panels and it's electrical components,
a solar water system,
siding for a 2800 sq house,
an HVAC system and its duct work,
millions of feet of electrical wiring, outlets and switches,
plumbing fixtures (I guess I'll leave the copper plumbing underneath -- with the snakes,
light fixtures,
cork kitchen flooring (still in boxes) and underlayment,
a new back porch,
The plywood siding for a 1200 sf barn & its door hardware,
4 patio sliders,
7 windows,
a new w/d,

I won't talk about the 172 trees I've planted since I moved here, nor the 100 Japanese maples I have in pots, nor the landscaping shrubs, plants, trees, etc., I've invested in this property. No, I won't talk about that.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'll stop now. If this happens, I'm gonna strip this puppy back down to the studs he left me with and take every single nail, screw, shred of insulation, and speck of dirt. And I'm going to need to ask for help, which also rubs me way the wrong way. (Hey local folks, got a free afternoon in the upcoming year? I've got tools and will rent the PODs. And beer. I'll buy the beer & 'dogs.)

I guess I'll just give him a bill for the labor on all of the installation and repairs I've had to have done on his work, and we can split that, too.
Let's see.
That's redoing all his electrical work, incl. rewiring all the outlets & switches.
Replumbing active leaks (one he just put together with tape),
repairing 4 places on the roof, including installing drip edge left out of the original install,
and drywall work, including plugging the holes in the ceiling where pot lights should be, sealing external walls, (fist-sized holes where I could see daylight along the bottom edges), and other joys.

And I am far from finished. With the electricity, drywall, plumbing (holes in floor, still), porch, and so on.

Ok. Just another day in the life of Christine. I figure if he felt like Googling me all this will pop up under my name, anyway. What the heck have I got to lose? Can't argue with the truth, although it can sure be twisted.

Thanks for listening. As usual. I'll get past this. One way or another.

Comments (36)