SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wj_toh1005

Wilting after repotting

WJ [Singapore]
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all,

First of all I'm a beginner for indoor gardening. I've done a lot of reading to educate myself in this field for the past few months thanks to this forum and the helpful people here. Really appreciate it.

However this is my first repotting. I have a few plants that I owned for more than 6 months, wish to repot it due to its poor soil that came with it. Plants including calatheas and zebra plant. They're wilting and the leaves are soft after the day I repot.

Picture first:

Some of the leaves of calathea even curl up. I not sure why.

As for my repotting procedure,

1) I've watered the plants that are going to be repot around 4 days ago, so the soil wouldn't be too moist to work with during repot. First thing first I took out the plants, remove the existing soil as much as I could, then rinse it with water to get rid of the soil that is still sticking to the roots. I've carefully remove them and avoid damaging the roots as much as possible.

2) From there I got the bare root plants, the roots seems to be healthy so I didn't remove any of them. I lay them on top of dry towel, then blow dry the roots slowly (maybe this is a mistake. Instead of blow dry I should leave it for a few days to dry naturally. However when I blow dry I did not use hot air and keep a certain distance in between the plants)

Then proceed with the soil mix. I spent quite some time reading and trying to understand the 5:1:1 mix before planing this repot. Can't really find some of the ingredient like sphagnum peat and gardening lime, so I decide to make an amendment but following the guideline.

Those are 5 parts of pine bark, I mixed it up with some larger particles. 1 part of sifted perlite and 2 parts of potting soil that I have in hand (it contains peat, coco coir, vermiculite, perlite). I know it is not ideal to have a peat base media, but I decided to give it a try. I also use 2 parts of it for more water retentiveness (perhaps this is a mistake as well) as I can't afford to water my plants that frequent base on my living schedule.

Finally, I water them thoroughly after repot. The water drain very quickly, within a minute or a few seconds after I water them. I suppose that is a good thing right?

The next day I discovered the plants that I repotted is wilting. I wonder if this is so call "plant shock"? Or maybe it is the newly potted roots is yet to establish to absorb water? I'm not entirely sure and really worry that they will die just like that.

Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)