SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geo_wil

Wilting Philodendron after Repot

Geo Wil
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I am having issues with my philodendron. After repotting it last week it has started to wilt and some leaves have been turning yellow. A few leaves closest to the stems at soil level even browned up and shrived completely (just three so far).

Some information and images. This plant is at least 22 years old and had been in the same pot for that time. I decided to repot it as the pot and saucer had deteriorated to the point that it was starting to fall apart and water was leaking through the bottom of the saucer and causing mold build up on the surface underneath it even with light watering.

It was a very leggy plant, it had one vine close to 25 feet long with no leaves on it, probably due to being kept for 8 years in areas where there was not much light. I cut it back to three feet and used most of the rest for rooting. I had noticed that over the last two weeks it had started to look wrong. Some of the vines had started to turn yellow and one section of the plant has started to severely wilt.

After I removed the root ball from the old pot using the upside down method I noticed that once I washed off the soil that there were several of the longer roots that had rotted about halfway up and one had some mold growing on it near the top of the root. I removed the damaged sections of the roots and removed the one with the mold a few cm above where the mold was growing. The other thing I noticed was that the other roots were very stunted, but healthy looking, none of the undamaged roots were longer than 4 inches; it was not root bound at all.

I put the plant aside in some water while I cleaned up the old pot and finished preparing the new one; that took about 45 minutes. For the potting soil in the old pot, I have no idea. For the new one I bought some Espoma PTM8 peat moss, Black Gold potting soil, and Miracle-gro perlite and mixed it myself (8 qrts of each).

One thing I did not do but should probably have was to pre-water the soil until it drained from the bottom of the pot. I repotted it directly into the new soil without doing that and then I watered it with the amount of water I usually used in the old pot when I should have probably watered a lot more.

Here are the images now. The first is the area I have the plant in. I think it is about right for a philodendron; there are two windows in this corner which will have bright, indirect, light coming through them during different points in the day and moderate light the rest of the time and then the rest are of the plant. I tried to get as close in on the soil-level stems as possible.

On this one, near the middle left there was a very long vine (8 feet or so) which I made a cutting from as a back up to root in water in case the plant dies. The root has started to, callous I guess is the word I am looking for? It has started to shrink to a hardened black stem kind of think near the end where the cut was made.

In this one I am wondering if I buried the middle slight left plant too deeply.

for what I have done so far:

I have been misting it each night. I read in another post here somewhere that adding a small amount of sugar to the water you give a plant after repotting can help it deal with transplant shock. I did this on the first day I watered it but have not since. After the first watering I noticed that within 3 days the soil was bone dry about three inches deep but I did not water that much as I mentioned above.

Tonight I did water it fully until it started draining through the bottom, the soil was slightly damp down to two inches and a little more moist below that.

I personally think this could be one of two things:

1. normal after-repotting transplant shock

2. result from not watering it enough directly after repotting

or maybe the first exacerbated by the second but this is the first time I have repotted anything so that is why I have come to seek advice from people that know a lot more about this subject that me.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting