SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Repotting Heartleaf Philodendron

MrBlubs
9 years ago

Hi,

This spring is my big up-pot/RE-pot for practically all of my plants and I've got everything figured out so far except my philodendron. I've had it for 3 years and around 2 months and I have only repotted it once at the very beginning. I know that's a big no no and all already but It was one of my first houseplants........... Anyway I bought it at Costco and it came wrapped around one of those bamboo grades and I remember trying to repot it then and it being a real struggle.. As the bamboo thing woukd come out of the soil but then the whole plant was wrapped around said Bamboo grade and it was just a Mess. 3 years later it's over 6 feet tall at parts and is tapped on my wall.

I decided to cut it back now so it would be more portable, have time to grow new shoots before the repot in May, and for me to be able to root the cuttings in water in time for them to be planted in the bigger pot with the main plant again.

Was it right to do so? I have pictures but I'll have to post them at the bottom of the text as my phone won't allow me to type under photos without jumping all over the place and it woukd take forever to type. Should I have not cut it back? Should I cut it back more?

And is there any trick to keeping it all together when repotting? I am going to remove all the soil from the roots but I don't want it to start slipping out of the bamboo thing and getting all messed up and what not.

Thanks,

Here's the before and after photos

Agh, sorry for the side way photos again... Have to learn to take them landscape... Been here for 3 years and still can't do it!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths