SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

New Laptop, old Brain

ritaweeda
7 years ago

Got a new laptop for Christmas, Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with Windows 10. First of all, my one and only computer I've ever owned - Dell Inspiron Desktop with Windows Vista - still works and has been fine for what I do but I've been afraid it would crash and burn any time so I asked for this new one. I fired it up, made a recovery drive, loaded email on it after having to call At&t because it's not configured the same as the old one. Also loaded Norton, Windows Explorer, and Chrome. So when I loaded Chrome something happened and it got stuck. So I did what I always did on the old one, hit ctrl alt del to get task manager. Nothing happened - I did it several times - nothing. Where is task manager on Windows 10?? Also, yesterday, I got a prompt that Dell had 2 updates, to close down everything and click to update. Didn't know that was a no-no. I got the green restart screen and it went for an hour. Had to get online with the old computer to Dell Chat and they had to repair it, it took forever. So I asked what happened and the tech said they had to uninstall and reinstall things. So I said so if I get that prompt I'm supposed to ignore it? She said yes, don't do it. But she said she disabled it to come up and I shouldn't see it again. She said if I ever do see it again to contact them. So I said but why do you have it come up when you're not supposed to update? I told her I'm an old f$^% and don't understand all this. She really didn't have a good answer why it pops up when I'm not supposed to do it. Does anyone out there know and can explain it to someone who is clueless?

Comments (10)