SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Paralell port to USB cable for new laptop

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I am going to try to hook up my old and much loved HP Laserjet 5L printer to my new laptop running Windows 7. I will need to buy a special cable for that, and I priced one out at Staples at 41 dollars and yet I see them at Amazon.com for anywhere from 7-25 dollars. But I read in the reviews that there are a lot of variables to getting them to work. Most issues seem to be with Windows Vista though, which I do not have. But then again, are these discount cables an issue with connecting to a Windows 7 computer? I did not even realize it was an issue until I had to download a new driver for my not very old HP Officejet all in one because the old installation CD was not compatible. So what about cables, will I run into the same issue there? Does anyone have any experience trying this with an HP Laserjet printer and a Windows 7 system? I was going to order the cable along with a student version of the Office suite 2007. I wonder if that software will be compatible? I am totally new to this idea that some software and drivers work with one Windows operating system and not with others. So far I haven't seen any specifications on the cables listed on Amazon that say "compatible with Windows 7." And I was so hoping this would just be a "plug in and go" situation! :)

Comments (18)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

There are always issues with drivers and software compatibility when a new version of Windows comes out. You have fewer things to worry about with cables. If it says it's compatible with Win7, then you shouldn't have to worry about anything. I actually don't even know what that means when we're talking about a cable...I think it is just a meaningless reassurance. Usually with a cable you are concerned with whether you have a device that needs a USB 2.0 port and your old computer only has a USB 1.1 port; or like the external hard drive I just bought which needed WinXP, Vista, or Win7 to run. You should go for an inexpensive cable that has good reviews. Cable manufacturers want you to believe that there are big differences between cables, but, in my experience, this is just one of those things that can have a huge price range and not be any different in terms of function. It's a great area for companies to make a profit, because I see you are worried that a cheaper cable might not cut it, and so you are tempted to spend a lot, right? There are crappy cables out there, though I've never encountered one. I recommend you find one of modest price with favorable reviews, and buy that one. Check out the return policy to make sure you can send it back if you have a problem, but I don't think you will. Since your printer is so old, the main issue is whether there is a driver to make it work with your operating system, not whether the cable is adequate.

• genes
    14 years ago

Check on the HP homesite to see if there is a Win7 driver for your model printer

• Related Discussions

Question about USB ports

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a very old Pentium 3 with a cheap 4 port USB hub that I plug my scanner, printer, external harddrive, and camera or flash drives into and everything works perfect. USB1 may be a little slow with large external drives loaded with data, but the speed is bearable.
    ...See More

HP mini and Verizon usb port connection

Q

Comments (6)
    My gut reaction is that Verizon was too lazy or cheap to write the drivers for their product. As I read it, the Multi-WWAN driver is for devices that have wireless broadband hardware built-in. I'd download the HP Multi-WWAN driver for a similar mini (make sure you get the matching O/S). Either the driver is going to install or it's going to balk at the lack of necessary hardware. I'd bet that even if it balks, the drivers get installed anyway. If that doesn't work, I'd call Verizon and ask them to support their product. You're paid them for the device and continue to pay them for monthly access. HP Mini's are quite popular so you can't be the only person having this problem.
    ...See More

Dell Inspiron 7500 USB Port Help?

Q

Comments (1)
    Gene, Maybe the link below will help. Terry Here is a link that might be useful: Dell Inspiron 7500 Documentation
    ...See More

Emb Machine with USB port

Q

Comments (3)
    That's strange - I've been successful with freebies. Have you used the explore command in the folder you downloaded to? You may find that the file is actually there and you can transfer it to the stick. I've had to do this several times with freebies. I'm new at this too - my machine is a week old.
    ...See More
  • DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Unless the manufacturer provides a current set of drivers and software no matter what you read it is going to be a gamble.

When I installed my non-supported HP5650 to this then new Vista system I allowed Vista to locate and install what it thought was the proper drivers. The installation did maintain all the printing functions, but I lost the Toolbox along with all the "special" software driven features" which I didn't use anyhow.

A lot of Googling and reading might help learn the limits others have realized using your printer and W7.

DA

• owbist
    14 years ago

Gene has the right idea, be sure HP will provide Win7 drivers before laying out money for an LPT1 to USB cable that will be useless once the printer quits.

Many companies do not create drivers for newer operating systems forcing us to buy new again.

• SilverVista
    14 years ago

I looked up the LaserJet 5L at HP.com and found the support page. When I followed the link for "obtain software" it took me to the following instructions, which I've copied to paste here.

"Category 3 - Windows 7 print driver available
    LaserJet model specific printer drivers are currently available within the Windows 7 operating system. Installation of these drivers can be performed via Devices and Printers , formerly known as the Add Printer Wizard .
    NOTE: If the model specific driver that you are looking for does not appear in the list of available printers, clicking the Windows Update button underneath the list of available printers may provide additional drivers to choose from. Requires opt-in to Microsoft Windows Update and internet connection.
    For Multifunction and All-In-One LaserJet products, your product may have additional scan and fax software available at www.hp.com .
    HP wants to make sure you have the most up-to-date information on the drivers and software for your HP products. Click here to register for HP SubscriberÂs Choice. You will be notified when additional drivers become available."

So it does look as though you'll be able to use the 5L printer after you get the cord. Good luck!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

If you have a big lots near you try looking there for the cable I have bought that kind of cable there along with pretty much every kind I have needed including the HDMI cables for my new tv. They are extremely low priced and are very good brand cables, usually they come from electronic stores that have gone out of business.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I've always gotten good and inexpensive cables from buy.com, too.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had already checked on the driver before I went to buy the cable. Then I went to the store and found out that they were so much money, so I went online. I was at Amazon.com initially because I was also purchasing my MS Office suite from them. That's when I became aware of potential cable issues, by reading the reviews. I also saw issues come up on other Web sites where buyers were able to review merchandise. Apparently cables don't work ALL the time. That's why I posted here, to find out if anyone had recently hooked up one of HP's old laser workhorse printers to a Windows 7 operating machine. A lot of the issues I saw listed in the review sites were Windows Vista and Mac issues, but that's maybe because Windows 7 is new. I'm thinking to maybe get the cord locally at Radio Shack or someplace like that, so I can return it if it doesn't work. Most online places I have looked don't specify if it works on Macs and PC and what Windows system it works with. So anyway, it's a cord issue I'm wondering about, not a driver issue. I did find, when I hooked up my newer HP Officejet printer with the USB connection to my laptop that it didn't just read the printer like some instructions said it would, and it wasn't compatible with the driver that was listed in the pull down menu either. I had to download the driver from the HP Web site. That's how I found out that the drivers were available for my old HP Lasterjet. So anyway, I'm thinking maybe cords are the same way, a little finicky about what works and what doesn't.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

lpinkmountain-
    You should do what you are comfortable with. However, as I tried to explain above, a cable is usually just a cable. I have loaned different kinds of spare cables I grabbed out of my parts drawer to friends who use all kinds of operating systems, Windows as well as Apple, and none of them have ever said: "That cable didn't work with my operating system." They may have had a problem getting something to work, but in the end it turned out to be something other than the cable. Your main concern with a cable should be that the cable ends match the ports.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kudzu, that's what I was kind of thinking too. I'm going to get a cable sometime here in the not too distant future and download the drivers from HP, they have many options, and one that fits exactly with my operating system. I'll report back on what happens.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Good luck...hope it's easy.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    I bought a new cable at Radio Shack. Went to download the driver, found out that NOOOO!!! HP did NOT have the drivers available, for ANY recent Windows systems. Come to find out, the page that was set up with links for downloading the applications was bogus, when you clicked on the link, you got a whole page of information, but bottom line, the drivers weren't available for downloading and hadn't been since 2009. This INFURIATES me!! My Laserject 5L is completely useless now. And no, I don't want to mess around on E-bay trying to find and install this or that for my old laptop. I can't even get the printer to work with the old laptop which has a prong cable connection. The print job goes to the printer, the printer turns on but never prints. Eventually I get an error message. So I don't know what the problem is. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver from the computer over and over again, so maybe there is something wrong internally with the printer. My PC guy told me I could get a pretty good laser printer for 100 bucks, and when all's said and done I would probaby have to spend over 100 bucks messing around trying to fix the old system, with possibly no good results anyway, so I'm giving up on my old 5L friend. I am NOT very happy about it!! :(

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

have you tried using the HP chat and talking to one of their support team? I have found using their chat very helpful, I had a problem with a new printer I got and the install cd was not working properly, in chat they told me they had a new cd to go with that printer and he sent it out over night to me. I normally could have downloaded from their site but they were doing maintenance and it was down so instead of making me wait he sent it out to me. I got it and used it and problem solved.

Perhaps they could help you with your problem too. Worth a try.

• bob414
    14 years ago

When I upgraded my xp desktop to windows 7, windows 7 found a driver for my HP Laserjet 6L and it is working as well as it ever did.

• exgm
    14 years ago

Have you gone here
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Install.aspx?referringpage=Home.aspx and downloaded the drivers if present?

or... selected Windows Update from the add printer dialog?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Do a self-test and see if the printer is in fact not working:

HP Laserjet 5L service mode
    1 Hold down [Items] and [+] while powering ON the printer, until all lights are illuminated and the Display is blank. (If the Display Panel reads INTERNAL TEST at this point, the keys were released too soon. Repeat this step until successful.)
    2 Press [Select]. The message SERVICE MODE is displayed briefly, then the printer automatically begins an INTERNAL TEST. After several seconds, both Control Panel Indicators turn OFF. (The printer may display WARMING UP if it has not warmed up completely.) After the printer has warmed up and passed the self test, SERVICE MODE is displayed.
    3. Press [Menus] once to display SERVICE MENU.
    4. Once it says SERVICE MENU press ITEM to scroll through service mode items.
    To exit the Service Mode press [On Line].

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the additional suggestions!! Wow, totally cool, I can get a driver from Microsoft! Where do I put it when I download it? It is asking me where to download it to.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW, I can't thank you guys enough!!!! My Laser printer is working again after more than a year!! I am so happy because I am looking for a job and it will be nice to print my resume on the laser printer. And my business cards!! My old ones smeared when you ran your finger across them, not very snazzy! :)

I used the Windows Update from the install printer menu. Windows found the driver online from the Mothership. I didn't realize I could get a driver from MS, because I got the driver for my other printer from HP. I am so happy!! Oh, did I say that already?! :)

Dcarch, I'm going to keep your note in case the printer stops working again. But I didn't understand it. You seem to be describing a window, but where is this set of instructions you are talking about. I don't have an [items] key on my laptop or if I do it is labeled cryptically something else. What Display would be blank, the screen display? What is the [Select] key? Where would I see the Control Panel Indicators? I don't really understand what your talking about, my printer has no display. My computer does, but are these keys or icons you are talking about inside the brackets. If it is keys, then my abbreviated keys must be labeled differently than what you are describing.