SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Problems on new laptop

wizardnm
14 years ago

I can't believe this. Two weeks ago a Microsoft update made my desktop system crash. I felt pretty lucky that I had transferred as much to a new laptop, just 3-4 weeks before that as I could, so when I had to wipe the old XP hard drive I didn't lose anything of real importance.

I'm doing this post from the old XP (still love it) and have pretty much put on it what I want. I think I posted what a big help Dell was.

Now I have problems on the laptop (Dell Inspiron 1750, 64 bit, Win7 pro, IE)

Friends who are more into computers than I am were over on Sat night. I asked about how to transfer some pictures back to the old PC from the new and maybe my Favorites file, if that was possible. They had a jump drive with them and proceeded to transfer. Seemed to work fine and I did get my pictures transferred. Then he tried to set up some file sharing between the two computers... started getting some error messages about corrupted files...

Here is where I'm at:

1. new laptop not seeing signal for wifi (cable company tells me my Linksey's isn't working) I am now only able to connect with a direct hookup on the old computer....new laptop won't even work with that.

2. there's an error preventing troubleshooter from working on the new laptop

3. I have received an error code (0x80070002)

4. an error tells me that there are corrupt files on McAfree and that I need to reinstall (I don't want it anyway)

5. Dell says my service contract is just for the hardware and that this is all software issues, so they are no help.

Where do I start???

Thank you ahead of time for any help! I've been pulling my hair out all day, just trying to get it back on line w/o success.

Nancy

Comments (26)