SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Problem upgrading to larger drive (laptop)

bpgreen
14 years ago

My wife's laptop came with a 30 gig drive and I upgraded it to a 60 gig drive in a relatively painless process. At least I don't remember it being painful.

At the time, 60 gig seemed like a lot, but she filled it so I got a 160 gig drive. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing differently from the time I upgraded from 30 to 60, but when I put the new drive in, I get a boot error. I've tried running a WinXP install CD in repair mode and running fixmbr and fixboot. I've also tried running the Windows install until it gets to the point where it actually installs Windows (this worked for another laptop, but not the target).

I used Terabyte Unlimited's image program the first time. This time, I bought a program that is supposed to simplify things (Apricorn EZ Gig II). When that didn't work, I tried using the Terabyte program, but still no success.

I think the problem is in the boot loader part of the process.

Could lilo help me get past this?

I've used lilo for multiple boot systems before. Can I install lilo without installing Linux? If I need to install Linux to get lilo, can anybody point me to a distro that will use the least amount of disk space?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz