SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Is this a good laptop to buy? Ready to ditch DH's vista laptop

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

First the link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5270693&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs

Now the background for considering this purchase. I could use help deciding whether getting a new computer is the answer. The other possibilities are getting his laptop fixed to connect with our home network (but he's still stuck with Vista), or updating this laptop to Windows 7 (for close to $500 in labor and software - see more details below).

After the hours and hours spent trying to connect my husband's vista laptop to our newly secured network - and trying the ideas recommended here and elsewhere from google searches. I called the computer guy. He didn't seem surprised and said something about going and changing the ports - and this is a common Vista issue (he always hated Vista and so has my husband. He's regretted getting this laptop since he got it probably 2 years ago)

The computer guy could fix it - probably cost at least $140 if he can do it within an hour. So I wondered with him whether it was better to ditch Vista and update to Windows 7. He thought it might be - but his charge to save all documents and settings - wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install (with all appropriate updated drivers) is about $350 - and we'd be buying Windows 7 for over $100. After my struggles this week - wasting time I really needed to be spending elsewhere, I'm not inclined to take on the project of saving his data, and doing a fresh install. All of that scares me - it's unchartered territory for me - and this week's computer experiences don't leave me wanting to do that.

I brought up with the computer guy that for that cost, perhaps we should just buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. He said it would cost $800-900 - and we'd still have to transfer all the data - which would be my labor and stress, or a cost to have him do it. The computer above looked great to me. I got my husband a Slingbox Pro so he could watch tv on his Imac. But with this Gateway laptop, he could watch on a great screen on his laptop as well - home or away from home.

So what do people think? I guess some key considerations are whether my tech-phobic husband - or I, could easily transfer his 180GB of music files, and a few Excel and Word files (could probably easily go on a flash drive - but I've actually never used one), and a few pictures (maybe 100 or so) - without hiring the computer guy. Is there an easy way to get all this data onto an external hard drive - and later transfer back to new laptop? When I got a new pc 2 years ago, I hired him to transfer data to my new pc - and paid dearly to have him transfer data - lots of that time was idle as he just waited. If it's relatively easy - but just takes time to transfer, then I should attempt it myself. (He only has USB on his current laptop.)

My husband also bought Microsft Office (with Excel and Word) for his Vista laptop. Can he transfer the program to a new laptop - or does he have to buy this software all over again?

if he gets a new Windows 7 laptop, will it also be tricky to connect to my XP secure home wireless network? Does Windows 7 have nice enough features that it's worth getting - just to enjoy the improved offerings?

Thank you to anyone to actually read through all this. I am really fried from trying to think this through and struggling with the networking all week. My husband bought his vista laptop impulsively - and regrets it - but that's his style - he will not do the research or obsessive-compulsive thinking about what to do. So I want to help him and make sure his next decision is one that works for him.

Thanks again.

Lynn.

Comments (9)