SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

Backing up to a used external drive

Terrapots
13 years ago

Hi! I'm having to upgrade to IE8 on my XP computer. I downloaded it but not installed. The install wizard recommends I back up my files. I do a daily backup when I work on my important files but I would hate to have to reinstall software. (Shhh! I still back up to floppies as I have about a million of them.)I also need to add SP3 as I didn't have automatic upgrade running and thus has never been installed according to MS. And, should I do SP3 before running IE8, does it make any difference?

Another question is, should I back up my computer to an external hard drive that has another computer backup on it? Is that complicated? Not sure what the issues of that are. Should I have partitioned the drive before it got used? This backup was done when I had a problem with my laptop which has now been fixed and most of what I needed is now on my laptop and working OK. I just had a lot of recipes saved from searches. I don't even know what is on the external drive and whether they are usable or not. This is from the hard drive that was malfunctioning and I'm thinking the files on this backup are corrupted anyway. The tech restored as much as he could when he installed a new hard drive on the laptop. The laptop was running Vista.

Comments (3)