SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

New year, looking for new laptop

jenn
15 years ago

We're looking for a new laptop for basic things such as web surfing, blogging, and temporary storage of some photos while on vacation. We have a relatively new desktop PC which we are not looking to replace anytime soon, so the laptop is merely a portable device to use while watching TV in another room or take with us on vacation or to share pictures at someone's home. The bulk of our office work will continue to be done on the PC.

We saw a Toshiba Satellite we liked at Best Buy (3 GB HD, 320 RAM). Two things about it scare me off a bit after doing some reading here: Norton 360 and Vista.

I've read posts from last year and many of them recommend replacing Vista with Windows XP. Are the Vista issues still true now in 2009? I do NOT want to mess with uninstalls, re-installs, re-configs, dual boots, and the like after we get the laptop home -- I want to begin using it straight out of the box.

I don't plan on doing any gaming or using memory-hungry software. I have a couple of blogs that I frequently update, and perhaps surf web sites and visit on-line forums (such as this one).

Should I look for a laptop with Windows XP or one that offers a downgrade installed before I take it home?

Or, has anyone recently purchased a laptop with Vista who is very happy with it and loves it straight out of the box?

Comments (16)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bought a Dell for my mother (Vista 32 bit) and she has had no problems whatsoever.

A brand spanking new Vista or XP equipped machine should work fine out of the box by now. Any problems that can happen will probably be due to things that you add/install afterwards. Say, hardware or software add ons. Make a list of programs and hardware attached to the desktop (think: cameras, external drives, flash drives, etc). Microsoft used to have a program in their website that would scan XP PCs and list compatibility issues; you may want to check if it is still around.

Other things to think about....

Windows 7, a new version to replace Vista, is coming up soon, around the end of this year provided the shipping date does not get moved. So, keep that in mind.

Some versions of Windows Vista for laptops are the 64-bit versions of Windows so keep that in mind too because programs written for 32-bit may not run on 64-bit (you can email the software maker and they should be able to tell you).

For example, and embarrasingly enough for Microsoft, Windows Office 2007 is not offered in 64-bit form but will run fine in either XP or Vista, and in either 32 or 64 bit configurations. Some Adobe products do not work on 64-bit.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

I've got two machines running Vista: a 15-month old Dell laptop, and a brand new Sony Vaio all-in-one. I've had no problems with either one. Yes, Vista is, perhaps, too fancy for its own good, which means that you need a lot of RAM, but 3 GB is more than enough. Some people have undoubtedly had problems with Vista, but I also discount a lot of it as more of the same Microsoft-bashing one always hears. I don't think it's an issue for most people, or a reason you should choose a machine for its operating system. If I were you, I'd get a good laptop (like the Toshiba you're looking at) or a comparable model from a manufacturer who also has decent tech support and quit worrying about Vista. As for Norton 360, if you don't like it, you can do a 2 minute uninstall, like I did, and use something else, like McAfee (which you can usually find with a good rebate at places like Buy.com or Fry's.)

• Related Discussions

Back w/ Update on new Hoyas from new laptop

Q

Comments (10)
    Thx EMT, is this how you brought yours back, by cutting & soaking? HI GL, I'd potted up the plant, more than a month ago, but it appears not to be taking up liquid. So, I unpotted it, saw roots at the bottom of the stem & cut some of them off, cutting back the a bit of the bottom stem end to green growth, in btwn some of the roots (still left some). Am trying to get it to drink & plump up. Today, while it doesn't look better, it does feel firmer when I hold the cutting in my hand.
    ...See More

NEW: New 2011 New Years Day Fresh Seed Swap

Q

Comments (84)
    Seeds were waiting when I got home. I great selection and a couple things that I have been really really wanting. Thanks to all who sent seeds and especially to Willy for doing such a great job, AGAIN. BB
    ...See More

Happy New Year! How was your New Year's Eve?

Q

Comments (25)
    Ours was utterly quiet, although not unpleasant :). Both kids were off doing their own NYE celebration so the house was nice and calm. We ate dinner, chatted, then he went to sleep early and I read for awhile. Boring? Maybe but also a moment to cherish being secure in our lives and with so much for which to be grateful. Actually, our New Year's reminds me of the lyrics to one of my favorite Carly Simon songs, Misfit: There are plenty of late nights If you want to stay up for them You'll just want to find yourself a friend And tie a couple on in a night spot Draw pictures of your soul, win the jackpot Pour tears in your beer It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll turn on the TV About 10 o'clock we'll turn off the light Not every man was born to stay up late at night There are plenty of boats to catch If you notice all the sails in the wind But you better look hard my friend In case you catch a ride on the wrong one In the distance is the one you belong on Oh the water is wide It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll sit under a tree And if you get the itch I'll supply the scratch Not every man was born with a boat to catch It's hip to be miserable when you are young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit A misfit
    ...See More

New Year = New Kichen. Need help with layout.

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm nearly sixty, and I love, love my raised DW. I just have a trash cab b/w the sink and the DW, and it works perfect for me. But I guess you'll have a bigger cab b/w the two. I think that can work too. But if possible have a narrow cab as tall as DW, then DW and then the trash and sink. When loading the DW you can keep the trash open and so no drips on the floor. If you go that way it may be a good idea to continue the counter material on the side of the DW. Here's what mine looks like.
    ...See More
  • genes
    15 years ago

As for the Norton thing,its only a free 90 day promotion then you pay. If I were you, I would completely uninstall it on arrival. Make sure after you uninstall it completely. Then download Avast free. Its a really good anti virus. You will have to register it when activated and I believe every year. Small price to pay for a good free AV.
    As for the firewall, activate the Vista firewall. Its a good two way firewall. You should be good to go.

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your very helpful suggestions and comments.

At this time, I don't plan to add software to the laptop; I want to keep it simple. The only software I might add is MS Office Enterprise (a copy of which was given to everyone at work to put on their home computers).

I want to do the following activities on the laptop:
    -- Surf the net (I enjoy researching facts)
    -- Visit forums (like this one)
    -- Check email
    -- Update the blogs (recipes and cycling)
    -- Learn and write CSS for the blogs
    -- Games that come on the laptop -- but not gaming, per se.
    -- Download photos from a memory card (using card slot in laptop, or USB card reader) for viewing/sharing (and temporary storage while on vacation).

I got a little money for Christmas that would enable me to spend a little over our own budget, but I could put that towards an accessory instead (e.g. carrying case) if I don't need to spend it on upgrades for the laptop. My budget is about $700, so I could go up to $900 or save that $200 for something else.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Toshiba Satellite,

Could you give us the model # of the Toshiba you were looking at L300, A300, 0r L350.

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep: I'll check the Best Buy ads this morning and let you know. It's the one with the small round speakers in the top left/right corners. Of the model numbers you provided, only the L350 rings a bell. We didn't particularly settle on that one model, but it was in the price range (around $700) and had the size and features I'm looking for, and the sales guy recommended Toshiba after he asked Geek Squad guys about reliable models. My husband (who reads a lot of reviews) said he's read very good things about Toshiba laptops.

• genes
    15 years ago

I agree. Toshibas are very reliable. They and IBM (pre-Lenovo) are what I have been using exclusively for the last 10-15 years. There are also nice Acer laptops out there but there service program is not near as nice as Toshiba. Each reasonably large city has an authorized Toshiba repair center where the Acers have to be sent in. Just do a google search for eg: "toshiba satellite L350 reviews". You should be able to find something on the model you want

• zep516
    15 years ago

Preinstalled software bundles beware, no whats on the pc the first day you bring it home...

"After quarter of a century of the IBM PC, we still don't understand why so many companies feel obliged to create swathes of below-par software to install on the computers they sell. Notebook makers are the worst, and Sony the king of them all: the first job for any new Vaio owner is to strip out the layers of desktop 'enhancements', media 'managers' and system 'control software' that serve only to get in the way of doing things the way you know how to do them, interfere with other software packages and suck up such enormous amounts of resources on start-up that two weeks after you've bought one, you're still not sure whether it's broken or not".

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

genes: Thanks for that info, very helpful. I like to research products prior to purchase (OK, I'm a little compulsive about it) so I'll be sure to compare reviews.

zep: I've wondered about that in our current PC (Dell XPS purchased about 3 years ago), and wondered if we could remove it. One software that did come on it that I LOVE is the MS Picture It! 10 tool, a very nice photo editing tool that also allows you to create products from photos. Otherwise, I haven't found another one that I want to keep, but I'm afraid of getting rid of them for fear that they are needed by others. QUESTION: Is there a way of searching for and finding these packages and knowing what to remove and keep?

• zep516
    15 years ago

Please download hijackthis to your desk top see link.

(Uninstall list) hijackthis instruction

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to ђOpen the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under System tools click "Open Uninstall Manager" over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

Please do not use hijackthis program for anything unless under instruction, we will at finish uninstall the program.

There is also another tool you can use called Decrapifier, lets do it this way and I will be able two see all the programs in the ADD/REMOVE List.

Here is a link that might be useful: HijackThis

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep: Thanks -- I will try that later today or this week when I have a bit more time.

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zep, I finally had some time this morning... so I downloaded HijackThis and followed your instructions to the letter.

Here's the uninstall list. Now, my husband and I took a look at it and he said "if it's just installed and not running then it's not a problem". Is that true?

2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Ad-Aware
    Adobe Bridge 1.0
    Adobe Common File Installer
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player Plugin
    Adobe Help Center 1.0
    Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Adobe Reader 8.1.3
    Adobe Stock Photos 1.0
    AnswerWorks 4.0 Runtime - English
    AOLIcon
    Apple Mobile Device Support
    Apple Software Update
    avast! Antivirus
    Broadcom Advanced Control Suite
    Canon IJ Network Scan Utility
    Canon IJ Network Tool
    Canon MP Navigator EX 1.1
    Canon MX850 series
    Canon MX850 series User Registration
    Canon My Printer
    Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint EX
    Canon Utilities Solution Menu
    Cardiris
    Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.8.02.0010
    Creative MediaSource
    Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
    Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell Support Center (Support Software)
    DellSupport
    DMX Update
    FileZilla (remove only)
    Free Solitaire 3D 1.7
    Google Desktop
    Google Earth
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB942288-v3)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
    ImgBurn (Remove Only)
    Intel Matrix Storage Manager
    Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
    Internet Explorer Default Page
    iPod for Windows 2006-03-23
    IrfanView (remove only)
    iTunes
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
    Java(TM) 6 Update 11
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3
    Java(TM) 6 Update 7
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
    Learn2 Player (Uninstall Only)
    Macromedia Flash Player 8
    MailWasher Free
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2005
    Microsoft Excel 97
    Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
    Microsoft Money 2005
    Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
    Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Groove MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Groove Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office InfoPath MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Picture It! Premium 10
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
    Microsoft Publisher 97
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005
    Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
    Microsoft Works
    Microsoft Works 2005 Setup Launcher
    Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word
    Modem Event Monitor
    Modem Helper
    Modem On Hold
    Mozilla Firefox (3.0.5)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    My Way Search Assistant
    NVIDIA Drivers
    OpenOffice.org Installer 1.0
    Paint Shop Pro 7
    Photo Click
    Photodex Presenter
    Picasa 3
    PIXMA Extended Survey Program
    PowerDVD 5.5
    Presto! PageManager 7.15.20
    ProShow Gold
    Qualxserve Service Agreement
    Quicken 2007
    QuickTime
    RealPlayer Basic
    ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951550)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB958439)
    Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB958437)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 (KB950130)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB951338)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB950114)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB954326)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB956828)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB956358)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB928090)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB931768)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB937143)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB960714)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
    Shockwave
    Shutterfly Plugin
    Sonic Audio module
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic MyDVD LE
    Sonic RecordNow Copy
    Sonic RecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 8
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    TrueSwitch Wizard Verizon
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2005
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2006
    TurboTax Premier 2007
    TurboTax Premier Investments 2006
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB952142)
    Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 Help (KB957249)
    Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 Help (KB957252)
    Update for Office 2007 (KB946691)
    Update for Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (kb959141)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
    Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
    VC 9.0 Runtime
    Verizon Broadband Toolbar (IE only)
    Verizon Broadband Toolbar Firefox only
    Verizon Online Help and Support
    Verizon Servicepoint 1.5.22
    Viewpoint Media Player
    WD Diagnostics
    WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
    WexTech AnswerWorks
    Windows Genuine Advantage v1.3.0254.0
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Player 10
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows XP Service Pack 3
    WinZip
    X-Win32 7.1
    ZoneAlarm
    ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zep, I finally had some time this morning... so I downloaded HijackThis and followed your instructions to the letter.

Here's the uninstall list. Now, my husband and I took a look at it and he said "if it's just installed and not running then it's not a problem". Is that true?

Ad-Aware
    Adobe Bridge 1.0
    Adobe Common File Installer
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player Plugin
    Adobe Help Center 1.0
    Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Adobe Reader 8.1.3
    Adobe Stock Photos 1.0
    AnswerWorks 4.0 Runtime - English
    AOLIcon
    Apple Mobile Device Support
    Apple Software Update
    avast! Antivirus
    Broadcom Advanced Control Suite
    Canon IJ Network Scan Utility
    Canon IJ Network Tool
    Canon MP Navigator EX 1.1
    Canon MX850 series
    Canon MX850 series User Registration
    Canon My Printer
    Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint EX
    Canon Utilities Solution Menu
    Cardiris
    Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.8.02.0010
    Creative MediaSource
    Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
    Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell Support Center (Support Software)
    DellSupport
    DMX Update
    FileZilla (remove only)
    Free Solitaire 3D 1.7
    Google Desktop
    Google Earth
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB942288-v3)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
    ImgBurn (Remove Only)
    Intel Matrix Storage Manager
    Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
    Internet Explorer Default Page
    iPod for Windows 2006-03-23
    IrfanView (remove only)
    iTunes
    Java(TM) 6 Update 11
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3
    Java(TM) 6 Update 7
    Learn2 Player (Uninstall Only)
    Macromedia Flash Player 8
    MailWasher Free
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2005
    Microsoft Excel 97
    Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
    Microsoft Money 2005
    Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
    Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Groove MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Groove Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office InfoPath MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Picture It! Premium 10
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
    Microsoft Publisher 97
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005
    Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
    Microsoft Works
    Microsoft Works 2005 Setup Launcher
    Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word
    Modem Event Monitor
    Modem Helper
    Modem On Hold
    Mozilla Firefox (3.0.5)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    My Way Search Assistant
    NVIDIA Drivers
    OpenOffice.org Installer 1.0
    Paint Shop Pro 7
    Photo Click
    Photodex Presenter
    Picasa 3
    PIXMA Extended Survey Program
    PowerDVD 5.5
    Presto! PageManager 7.15.20
    ProShow Gold
    Qualxserve Service Agreement
    Quicken 2007
    QuickTime
    RealPlayer Basic
    ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951550)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB958439)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB958437)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 (KB950130)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB951338)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB950114)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB954326)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB956828)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB956358)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB928090)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB931768)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB937143)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB960714)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
    Shockwave
    Shutterfly Plugin
    Sonic Audio module
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic MyDVD LE
    Sonic RecordNow Copy
    Sonic RecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 8
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    TrueSwitch Wizard Verizon
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2005
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2006
    TurboTax Premier 2007
    TurboTax Premier Investments 2006
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB952142)
    Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 Help (KB957249)
    Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 Help (KB957252)
    Update for Office 2007 (KB946691)
    Update for Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (kb959141)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
    Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
    VC 9.0 Runtime
    Verizon Broadband Toolbar (IE only)
    Verizon Broadband Toolbar Firefox only
    Verizon Online Help and Support
    Verizon Servicepoint 1.5.22
    Viewpoint Media Player
    WD Diagnostics
    WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
    WexTech AnswerWorks
    Windows Genuine Advantage v1.3.0254.0
    Windows Media Player 10
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows XP Service Pack 3
    WinZip
    X-Win32 7.1
    ZoneAlarm
    ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker

• zep516
    15 years ago

Uninstall these old Java can be an infection risk:
    java(TM) 6 Update 3
    Java(TM) 6 Update 7

(Java(TM) 6 Update 11) KEEP THIS ONE this is the current version.

RealPlayer Basic, If you are not using Real Player I would uninstall it, real player plays real media files. This can be an intrusive program..

Are you using sonic? ItÂs a dvd recording burning program..

Viewpoint Media PlayerÂI would uninstall this.

If you use Google toolbar leave it, otherwise uninstall it, I bet a Google toolbar update is running on the pc.

My Way Search Assistant remove.

Do you use Turbo tax, uninstall it if you donÂt use it.

ThatÂs all I see..

• jenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, zep. I removed the ones you recommended except for Google toolbar (last used just last week) and a few that we do use.

I'll see if there are others that we can remove.

Do I remove hijackthis now? You said we'd do that at the end.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Yes there is no need for that program to be on the pc, I'd hate to have it misused so yes uninstall it.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor