SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

OT: DB may move to Toronto for six months (Dec 2016-May2017)

Lars
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Kevin told me that Sony has an opening in Toronto for a director, and he is applying for the job. It would only last 5-6 months while he would train people in Canada for permanent positions, but it would mean that he would be in Toronto from Dec 2016 to May 2017, although the dates might be slightly different. It would also mean that I would be living alone for six months, and while I do not like that, I think I could cope. I also told him I would visit him in Toronto, where Sony would be putting him up in an apartment that they pay for.

Anyone in Toronto have any advice/suggestions? I hope Sharon sees this, as she and her husband have met Kevin (here in L.A.), and I am hoping he would be able to contact her there, if he does indeed go. He would know no one there but would meet a lot of people at work, and I have found Canadians to be warm and friendly - I made many friends quickly during my visits to Vancouver.

Kevin lived in Albany NY while he was getting his MFA, and so he has experience with cold winters, but I do not. The coldest weather experience I have was in Manhattan during the first week of December - it was 31°, but the wind chill from the wind funneling down the avenues was the coldest I have ever felt. I've also never seen more than about three inches of snow and never any snow that lasted more than a day or two. Also, I do not have any warm clothes, if I were to visit him. I never go anywhere cold, and I do not know how to dress for it. The most I wear here is a light sweater over a long-sleeved shirt, and usually the long-sleeved shirt is warm enough. I used to have some light jackets, but I don't know where they are.

Cooking and food shopping for just one person will be quite an adjustment, but I've done that before as well. I do NOT like eating out alone, however.

I would want to visit Kevin after he'd been there for a couple of months, but I am terrified of going there in February. I won't even go to NY in February, but I'm not sure how much colder Toronto is. I imagine that December and January would be rather dark with very short days. I do have some gloves, but nothing to keep my head warm.

Several people are applying for the position, but Kevin thinks he is more qualified than they are, and so he may have a good chance of getting it.

Comments (36)