SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

What is the real estate market like in your area?

neetsiepie
6 years ago

I live outside the Portland Metro area-where the real estate market is absolutely insane. You literally cannot find a home for under $300K-most start in the $400's and go from there. My DD's SIL and her DH just bought a TINY 2 bd bungalow in Portland for $420K. I just drove past a new subdivision where the sign out front said 'Starting at the low $500's' and those are not luxury homes-they're higher-mid level homes-the kind you see featured on House Hunters, upgraded cabinetry (not custom), granite, hardwoods, about 2700SF, but tiny, tiny lots-less than 7000SF.

DD and her DH are in the market for a home here in my area and are being out bid on every single house they look at. Anything under $200K is sold within minutes of listing or is a foreclosure. They actually looked at, and put a bid in, on a house in a really bad neighborhood and were outbid-there were 10 offers put in on that house. Realtors have said that first time home buyers are pretty much out of luck in our market.

My home is now double what we bought it for in 2004-higher than it was at the peak in 2007/2008. My good friend put their place on the market at 9am and were under contract by noon-the couple who bought the place had been outbid on 7 other homes. Our homes are In the mid-lower priced market too! We're just outside the UGB, so they're more rural with bigger lots, older homes built in the 50's & 60's.

It is absolutely insane here lately-I keep telling the kids to hold off a few more months, the market will cool down but they're so anxious to move out of his parents home. They'd rent but rents here are astronomical-2 bedroom apartments are going for $1300+ where just a few years ago they were under $900. And this is in fair/decent places, not high end.

What is it like in other areas of the country?

Comments (91)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio