SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Fall gardening in Northern climates

8 years ago

What is the secret to good Fall crops in the Northern area of the country? I am not really having much luck, 2 years in a row, after an extremely successful spring and summer. The lack of both sun intensity and sun hours with the sun being both shorter and lower on the horizon, combined with colder temps, really shuts down plant growth. And the weather is unpredictable, sometimes going from hot to very cold very fast. Even the weeds aren't really growing. Plus, getting cold weather seedlings going in the heat of the summer is very difficult.

My lettuce is about 2 inches and hasn't grown at all in about 3 weeks. The carrots are growing slowly but look extremely unlikely to produce a sizeable root given the time left. Most of the beets didn't survive germinating in the summer heat. The broccoli and cabbage I tried to direct seed was a bust, they wouldnt grow in the summer heat and are only about the size of good seedlings now... too little too late. The peas look like I could get some peas, but only if I get lucky and we don't have early winter temps in November to shut down flowering/pollination. The Brussels Sprouts are about 2 feet high... hopefully I will get some sprouts... I did start those indoors, and they would have been doing better if I did a better job hardening off and dealing with the cabbage moths. The Spring planted broccoli is making better side shoots in the cooler weather but they are still just scraps.

The most successful Fall crops for me are the summer ones - especially the peppers and eggplant - they have enough momentum from the summer to keep producing.

I saw Johnny's has a list of Fall crop recommendations (winter harvest)... maybe I should just stick to the tier one or two stuff. I don't like Kale though. Spinach? http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-winter-harvest-planting-chart.aspx?source=W_WntrGrwngCropsVarieties_082015

What do you successfully grow, from the line of NY on Northwards? I can't say I have seen any neighbors plant Fall crops around here. They don't sell the seeds or seedlings at the nurseries, either.

Comments (57)