SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy22212

Cannot handle being a future step mom

Money222 Jones
7 years ago

I'm new here and I will try to make this short! I've been in a long term relationship for 4.5 years with a man who has 2 elementary aged kids. I have one grown daughter who is on her own. We don't live together.

Here are my issues and basically I need to make a decision to either stay or leave as I'm at a point where I don't want to invest anymore time and effort into a relationship where I'm not happy.

My issues revolve around feeling like I will never be placed first in the marriage. I understand that kids are a priority of course but I believe that a husband and wife need to place their relationship above all else or the relationship will crumble.

Enmeshment with the ex wife and her family are one of my major issues. When we first met she was coming into his home every morning to feed the kids breakfast. Her family would come in from out of town and stay with my BF for a week at a time. Agruments to get him to do away with these two activities went on for weeks. He visits with her family still without the kids. Just on his own.

Communication with the ex is daily. The schedule changes weekly and the kids and family pets go back and forth almost every other day. The kids need shoes and she has to call for $. One of the kids is acting up a bit at her place and she has to call. My BF literally jumps. She does his taxes and they still share a bank account where he deposits money for items if she needs them. They do b- day parties together and we have to sit with her all weekend at sporting events.

He will not do b-day and or xmas gifts with me for the kids. He does them with the ex wife at times and i get the kids gifts from just me.

The ex feels like she can still ask him for items from his home. Last year she wanted to move and she wanted my BF's house.. He was ready to look for another home .. but it's all for the kids of course.

In talks of marriage he mentioned that the kids could come on our honey moon.. really?? When we have alone time all he can do is complain that he misses his kids and that he loves them so much. Hey I get this. I'm a mom and I love my child as well but he chose to get a divorce and he sees the kids just about every day or two.

He has been saying he wants to marry me now for three years.... and now he says he just wants to live together to see "how things go". I have always been a believer in not living together before marriage and he knew this. So yet we are disagreeing on another thing. I feel like he doesn't want to really be with me, but instead he wants to continue to play big happy family with his ex and her family. I told him when we 1st started dating that if he wanted to be close with the ex and her family that I want to break up and he said he didn't want that either, but his actions show me differently.

I don't know folks... I just can't handle this situation anymore. He is defensive when I try to tell him that I feel like an outsider and that I don't matter. Because for him life is all about his kids and in order to keep the kids happy he needs to keep the ex wife happy, but what about me...?? Everyone can be happy but me??

So should I stay or go.?? 4.5 years is also too long for me to just date with no actual marriage proposal. I feel like I'm now just wasting my time with a guy who really doesn't want me. (also.. i actually like the kids and enjoy having them around. My issue is with my BF.)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!