SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

removing non-adjustable shelf from 60 year old "built in" "cabinet"

Pyewacket
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This runs the length of the shelf unit, wall mounted, over the sink and counter. It makes the space inside the box WAY to short to be useful. There is currently literally NOWHERE tall enough (other than the sink base, which has other stuff stored there) to store my pots and pans. The shelf is placed such that there is only 7.5" (ish) of height for each shelf.

At some point, somebody installed a real range hood - one that vents to the outside. To do that, they cut into the box over the stove and removed the shelving there. I can see staples or brads sticking out of the backing of the cabinet box (which is really one long run of continuous "cabinet" down the whole length of that wall) where the shelf was removed on that end so they could run the ductwork up through there.

So I'm guessing the shelves were nailed/stapled through the backing on the box.

If I could cut it straight down the middle I could probably knock it out and pull or snip off the brads/staples, and then I'd have a "tall enough" area to store pans and small appliances like my mixer, blender, etc.

The issue is (in part) the limited space. I don't think I could even get a circular saw in there, let alone use it safely.

This has obviously been done before as I can see where part of the shelf was previously removed. The question is - how can *I* remove the rest of that shelf?

The cabinets will be stripped and repainted anyway so I'm not worried about scratching anything in this process of getting that shelf out of there. The frame is dimensional 1x, probably poplar or beech given the era it was built, and the doors are high quality painted plywood. They are worth stripping and refinishing, with just the replacement of some of the more worn hardware - roller clips are giving out after 60 years, LOL!

These cabinets have an actual back, they're not just mounted open to the back wall. And the backing appears to be plywood, not masonite. So I don't think stability will be an issue if I can get that shelf out. The question is - HOW?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz