SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Can you IMAGINE putting a six-year-old kid on a non-stop train?

rosemaryt
12 years ago

I've been doing a lot of research on my great, great Aunt Addie (1872-1901). We've now determined that 29-year-old Addie *was* murdered, but that's another story.

In the process of reading through FIVE years of the local newspaper, I discovered some fascinating tidbits about my family.

The back story: In 1896, Addie married Enoch Fargo. He was 46 and she was 24. Shortly thereafter, he bought a big house in Lake Mills, Wisconsin and made it bigger and fancier. The remodeling and decorating took one year to complete.

In Summer 1897, Addie and Enoch had a big house-warming party. And here's the surprise: Even my grandmother Florence (then six years old) attended the party!

In early July 1897, Florence (Addie's niece) was put on a train in Denver, and Addie picked her up at the train station in Chicago. In other words, they put a six-year-old girl on a train from Denver to Chicago.

Little Florence stayed with Addie until the end of October, at which point she was taken to Chicago and put on a train back to Denver. Six years old!

It must have been a VERY different world then. Even in 1897, the trip from Chicago to Denver must have taken 20-24 hours. At least.

Can you imagine? I can't!

A picture of little Florence:

A picture of the Fargo Mansion (after the remodeling):

The housewarming party:

Taking Florence home:

Inside the mansion:

Florence survived the trip. :) In fact, she lived to be 90-something years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of the Fargo Mansion

Comments (18)