SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Fun surprises when you open walls in a 60 year old house!

rebeccamomof123
11 years ago

Well demo is well underway! Only a day into the project and the room has been completely cleared out, down to the studs. One issue we were aware we'd have to work around is the "main stack" which is our plumbing piping that will have to re-routed across the ceiling and down in the wall.

However we have now discovered a new challenge - the house has a main structural support beam directly where my pantry will be going. In my old kitchen, this was where my cabinets ended and we just figured it was an old plumbing pipe that could be cut. Nope. Thank goodness my GC is showing no signs on concern (at least not to us) and says we'll work around it - his plan is to replace it with a skinnier beam and incorporate it on the inside of the pantry down the side where it will not even be noticed. This means he'll have to make custom cut-outs down the whole inside of pantry and through my 4 deluxe roll-outs that I paid extra to upgrade. *sigh*

Also, the kitchen had NO insulation! They will be properly insulating the whole thing before new walls go back in. But, the GC is concerned that the toe-kick heaters I had planned on using to replace our old cast iron radiators might not throw enough heat out and wants to put one of my old radiators back in, under a window for added heat. He said we can leave it out and then if I feel the room isn't warming up enough, he'll come back and tie it in.

Ugggh, nothing goes as planned with a 60 year old house, I suppose.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals