SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedsilly

What finish for 50 year old cherry cabinet doors?

seedsilly
16 years ago

Hello all, I am usually on the kitchen or bathroom forums, but have a woodworking question for you.

My dad, who is a woodworker, took a look at a kitchen cabinet door that I stripped. He thinks the doors might be cherry. Whatever they are, they are pretty, and in good shape. Im guessing the cabinets and doors are original to the kitchen, which is circa 1950-60. I have two questions.

The cabinet door that I stripped is not as dark as I would expect for 50 year old cherry. Does stripping it expose a new layer of wood that will darken over time? Or is the wood likely as dark as it will get? I donÂt know what type of wood the faces are made of, dad just said "itÂs a hardwood", it looks different than the door in my opinion. A blonder wood, although IÂm guessing as I havenÂt stripped a face yet. Whatever it is, it took the original stain/varnish differently.

Also, any suggestions on finishing the cabinets? If possible, IÂd like to use tung oil or waterlox or something, as IÂm thinking that will enhance the wood, rather than simply add color. Am I on track here? While I want a "pretty" color (to me that is deep, rich, maybe some red tones but not too dark), I donÂt want artificial color. If possible. I of course also want to protect the wood properly. So I guess the question is, what is the best product to bring out the natural beauty of the wood?

I donÂt know if this matters in what material I choose, but the cabinet doors and faces have absolutely no ornamentation. All flat. Makes it easier for stripping and sanding at least.

I know I could play around with different materials on the back of the door, but IÂm not the type to spend money on lots of products that I donÂt plan to use up. So, if I could get some ideas of where to start, it might save me some money in the long run. Also, you should know IÂm very much a novice at stripping/staining etc.

Hope this isnÂt as clear as mud as I fear it might be!!

Thanks a lot.

Amy

Comments (10)