SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alymarie_gw

Finishing cherry interior doors

alymarie
16 years ago

I'm hoping someone here has some advice of finishing cherry wood. We built a new home this past year and have flat panel, craftsman style cherry doors. Our cabinetry is a natural cherry so we are hoping to stay close to that look.

We had a professional painter do some staining for us in the kitchen and he used all oil based products, shellacs, and varnishes. The odor was horrible and although we stayed away for a few days we had to go back home and my husband ended up getting very sick. He has liver disease and they believe the toxins overloaded his system. Anyway to make a long story short we decided that with the interior doors (which we are finishing ourselves) we wanted to use something as low toxic as possible.

After some research I bought Tried & True Danish Oil which is a boiled linseed oil. I used it on our fire place mantel and stair rails and absolutely loved it. We covered it with a water based poly and although I've read not too it seems to have worked well and looks great. We've used it on a couple of doors however and I'm not liking it as much. It has darkened the wood considerably and amplifies the blotchiness of the wood. Also, when I wrote on it with a crayon the crayon would not wipe off - not so good with a three year old in the house.

Before finishing our other 20 doors I'd like to master this process and hope someone has some input. Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH