SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

It's Halloween....share your scary gardening stories and creature pics

Rhonda
7 years ago

We all know that gardening in Florida can be terrifying....horrible heat and humidity, torrential rains followed by periods of drought, hurricanes and tornadoes and lightning. And, on top of all that, we have all kinds of creepy, crawly, slithery, flighty creatures in our gardens.

Please share some stories and pics about these creatures, large or small.

I live out in the boondocks.... in the sandhills southwest of Williston, heading towards the Gulf. Probably my scariest encounter was a rabid coyote that decided that it was going to hang out in my backyard a few years ago. At first, I thought that it was just used to people and was just resting. Then, it started having seizures and making weird noises, foaming at the mouth and having trouble walking. I tried finding someone at animal control but on a Saturday, the whole county seems to shut down. I told my husband to keep Larry and Lucy (my Bostons) in the house and get his gun. When we went back out with the gun, it had disappeared. I got in the car and drove the roads with no luck. Called all the neighbors to put them on the lookout and called the sheriff.

Some of my favorite creatures are the gopher tortoises who dig their tunnels on my property which in turn provides shelter for many other visitors such as snakes including eastern indigo, coachwhip, black racer, hognose, corn and pygmy rattlesnake (this one I don't like). Other cool creatures include Sherman's fox squirrels, burrowing and great horned owls, a pair of bald eagles that made an appearance and sat in one of my longleaf pines and pileated (including a male who sat on my car every day for 2 weeks swooning over the woodpecker in the mirror), red-bellied, red-headed, hairy, downy and red-cockaded woodpeckers. Of course there are many varieties of songbirds, the lizards, newts, salamanders and the biggest spiders you'll ever see.

Here's a few pics taken over the past couple of years.

Rhonda

Here's the male pileated woodpecker

Tommy the gopher tortoise - out and about and heading home

Comments (10)