SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Urban Guerrila Garden...WAY cool! (pic)

mjsee
14 years ago

This has appeared over the summer across from a greenway under an overpass by a stream.

{{gwi:49919}}

The rocks are all from the stream bed. And none of them were where they are six months ago. The side of the creek was all ugly "rip rap." Amazing amount of work...check out the "patio!" I think whoever is building it is working on it at night... I've never seen anyone there during the day. The town has a big light under the overpass to discourage people from sleeping there...it would make a great work light.

Finally remembered to bring my camera along on my last walk. Red cannas and liriope seem to be the majority of the plants...though it appears that the gardener has dug up some of the self-sown mimosa trees in the area and planted them in the garden. If they take they'll provide shade to his/her patio.

In some ways it reminds me of a bower-bird nest...everything is in shades of red. One day there was a basket of apples or tomatoes on the little rock table...it's all reds.

It makes me smile every time I walk past. I'll try and get more pictures...though with luck we'll get rain tomorrow and for the next few days. Sorry I couldn't get any closer...I don't want to intrude. (Or wade the creek.)I don't have a long lens.

Design principals in play:

Using like colors/plants to create a rhythm/cohesion.

Using local/native materials for a sense of place.

???? (fill in the blank)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I. Can't wait to hear y'all's reactions/analysis.

melanie

Comments (29)