SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurieee_gw

Scary wasp-like critters in tomato planters

Laurieee
18 years ago

Hi folks,

The question regards burrowing buzzing creatures that make individual holes in my tomato planters. Do you know what they are, and/or what I should do? I don't know whether I should start chemical warfare (which I like to avoid), abandon my plants, or leave them alone and interact very carefully.

Rank newbie here, to the forum and to tomato culture. My home has three half-barrel planters on the back porch, with nothing deliberately grown in them for at least 10 years. This year I bought a tomato and cage for each planter. They've been growing like crazy, very dense, with little green fruits showing.

But now they are surrounded by "armed guards." For me a sting would not be life threatening, but would be quite health threatening. I have an inflammatory illness and any provocation of immune response is to be avoided if possible.

I don't know what these beasts are, and I'm not sure the tomatoes are worth the risk.

Description: the insects are not as fat as bees or as skinny as wasps. They're small, maybe a half inch long, and very "busy" buzzing around pretty quickly. And they are burrowing into small individual holes over the surface of the soil. They're black and yellow, some of them with the yellow very pale.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!