SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

This is getting scary

kqcrna
16 years ago

The way it never rains here, that is. Yesterday there was heavy rain just to the north and south, but just a few sprinkles here. Nothing in the rain gauge, and it was 101 degrees here, actual temp. I have no idea what the heat index was but it was way up there with all the storms around they humidity was up to 90% after our sprinkles.

We are supposed to get a few days in the 80s scattered in the next week but no real chance of rain- only a 30 to 40% chance Monday and Tuesday. Nobody believes those forecasts anymore though. Yesterday after dark clouds and thunder for an hour I gave up and went out to water. While I was out there the neighbors on either side of me came out and started watering, too. Most homes had sprinklers still running. People were out leisurely walking their dogs, thunder roaring around. Sure enough, the rain never materialized.

My plants are frying daily. I'm trying to collect a few seeds while I water the perennials and watch everything decline. Even the beautiful zinnias are putting out measly little blossoms now and are covered with powdery mildew, and the same is making the verbena bonariensis look like crap. Same for my gorgeous perennial larkspur and gaillardia. Those that are surviving are so sun scorched that the blossoms look washed out and muddy colored and they're just not pretty anymore.

Just makes me want to throw in the towel and replant grass seeds in all these new lasagna flower beds. Of course, lawns are brown and crispy, too.

Karen

Comments (39)

Sponsored