SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Dangers of neglecting your garden!

jacqueline9CA
8 years ago

Our garden is getting overgrown, and just lately I have been out there trying to do something about it. I started on the little path which runs from the sidewalk up to the front garden gate, as the plantings on both side had started to expand right over the top of the cement path (ground cover daisies). They were almost meeting in the middle. Anyway, I was ripping out stuff, especially some dead growth, on my knees, listening to a outdoor heavy duty radio built for construction workers (I am hard on things) which my DH got me. There are lots of different types of bees in our garden, and they are always around, and we ignore each other. Suddenly I noticed that a bunch of little ones had come out of the bed I was cleaning up, and it quickly became apparent to me that they were attacking me! I noticed because they were stinging me.

I got up and tried to move away, but they flew after me, and I was waving my hands around, etc., and my glasses went flying. I found myself running down our driveway, and ripping off my T shirt on the way, as they were inside of it. Luckily I had my keys with me, and was able to get into our ground level basement and close the door. Two of them got in with me, so I ran into our office room in the basement to get away from them. To my horror I felt them in my hair, so I frantically undid my bun and braid, and two fell out of it. By then I had a lot (turned out later to be about 15) stings, mostly on the back of my neck and upper back (they got under my lovely sun gardening hat - the kind with a skirt on the back to protect your neck). Very painful, but luckily I know that I am not allergic to bee stings, so I was mostly just panicked and scared. My main concern was that my glasses were who knew where (possibly in the street), and they cost $750, so I had to get them. So, I put my T shirt back on, and peeked out of the basement door to see if any were waiting out there for me. Of course they were not. Walking carefully up the driveway, I picked up my clippers, hat, and gloves, which were strewn along the length of the driveway. I tiptoed out to where I had been working, and was able to retrieve my glasses (ended up in a bed 8 feet away from the bee nest, luckily), and even the radio. Went into the house, had 3 aspirin, and retreated to the bath tub.

My DH came home and investigated. He says they were yellow jackets, which are not bees at all, but look like them. He said he could see their underground nest hole in the bed I was working on, which is unfortunately right at the entrance to our front path which goes up to our front door. Everyone coming to our house has to walk within a foot of where they are. So, he has declared chemical warfare on them, and is getting some sort of wasp killer spray stuff that you are supposed to squirt into the nest. I will work in a different part of the garden today, until the danger is gone.

So, the moral of my story is that if you neglect your flower beds as I did, not only weeds may invade it - I don't think this would have happened unless they had had lots of time, and lots of overgrown foliage which provided an attractive place to set up housekeeping.

Jackie

Comments (43)