SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

For the first time ever ..

mama goose_gw zn6OH
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I went sailing! And so did my almost 79 year old mother! She'd had bilateral knee replacement a year ago, so we were very careful when helping her on board the boat, but she enjoyed herself immensely. We all enjoyed it, including my 8 year old grandson, who spent most of his time on the bow--when he was seated his head was lower than the jib. (See how I'm using all those fancy nautical terms ;).

My brother-in-law recently restored an older sailboat, and invited the family to go sailing. We combined the outing with our usual family get-together, and took a picnic. The whole time I was planning the trip, I kept thinking about the Keeping Up Appearances episode, where Hyacinth plans an afternoon on a borrowed 'yacht', with light refreshments and riparian entertainment.

The weather was gorgeous--almost too gorgeous, because eventually we lost the wind, and had to motor back to the dock. I was given the rudder while my sister and BIL stowed the sails--I enjoyed it so much, I steered for the return trip, except to turn it over it over to my BIL for docking.

Sailing wasn't on my bucket list (I don't even have a bucket list), but I'm happy to have been offered the experience.

Comments (10)