SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byrd2park

Different cuts of beef in beaf stew.

byrd2park
7 years ago

I am thinking of making a beef stew for Christmas.

I am thinking not using stew meat because it is is just to everyday. So far I plan on using tail meat. I( am still thinking about the other cuts to include. so let me hear your ideas for different cuts of beef to include in my beef stew.

Comments (81)

• User
    7 years ago

Lost in translation.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Garniture, whatever Byrd thinks, is garnish, decorative embellishments or accompaniments (according to Larousse, who I would think even Byrd would have to concede is a definitive reference).

• Related Discussions

Beef Stew

Q

Comments (11)
    Gardenlad, it will be chunks of stuff except for the meat. I'm trying to use ground vension which has been frozen for about 11 months in a deep freeze and the beef stew recipe looks like it could work. The vension has no freezer burn and it is very lean. I usually have to add a little oil when I cook it but wouldn't if I were going to pressure can the meat. My experience with vension is the texture will start to change if it remains frozen for longer than a year. We usually give the older vension away once we are into the new deer season. Our son probably has 1/2 a freezer full. He is newly married with a baby on the way and next year should have less by year end. I've never pressure canned but have a new weighted gage canner. The beef stew recipe looks simple and could be easily added to or changed at dinner time. I'm using the new Ball recipe books.
    ...See More

Beef Stew

Q

Comments (39)
    "I'd rather have your input on cooking seafood." That would be golden, not well browned, so we would need to start a new thread, wouldn't we? I'm game. I know from previous discussions that you could teach me a thing or two about seafood. Of course, seafood was the first thing that attracted me to Cape Cod years ago, then became the reason to retire here and to remain here, year in and year out. So I can say with all modesty that I am pretty well versed in seafood, whether it be catching, gathering, cooking or eating it. We need to get together at the shore, either your shore or mine, and have a feast. Jim
    ...See More

Tough Stewing Beef

Q

Comments (21)
    Here's what I do. Cut beef into chunks. Trim off gristle but leave all the fat. If you are lucky enough to have bones, knuckles, necks, etc, include them with the meat. You can buy these bits in an Asian market. Sear meat on all sides. Place into a pot that has a tight fitting lid w/ a modest amount (1/2 cup or so) of liquid (water, beef stock, red wine), tomato paste (1/2 to 1 small can, mixed up w/ the meat), and some salt. Cover pot and bake in oven at lowest temp (170F usually) for a few to even several hours. Alternatively, cook for hours on burner, covered, at lowest flame. Yet alternatively, seal the meat, liquid (less liquid in this case) and tomato paste in aluminium foil and bake as above. When the meat is tender enough to be pulled apart with two forks, but not falling apart, remove from heat. Spoon off the fat, leaving the yummy liquid with all the beef juices. Place in pot, if it isn't already, and add cut potatoes. Bake at 200F or cook on burners at low flame until potatoes are half done. Add carrots, onions, and other veg, plus bay leaf and whatever herbs you want, and cook until those are done. This is done either covered or uncovered, depending on if there is excess liquid you want to cook out. I may add more red wine or water or stock during this process - depends on if you want a dry-ish stew or a soupy stew. Near the end, add a bit of bright color - chopped chives or red, yellow, or orange bell peppers. The goal, for me, is a stew that is mostly meat, with rich and somewhat thick liquid, of a dark brown color enlivened with bright orange carrots, fresh green chives, and other colors. Everything should be tender but still have some firmness, not be baby-food soft. The potatoes should not be falling apart, the veg should not be mushy, the stew should not be floury or muddy in color. If the beef is tough, and you cook the potatoes and veg for the same time as the beef, you will end up with either tough stew meat or gray, mushy, disintegrating potatoes/veg. Adding tomatoes isn't as good as using tomato paste, because the tomatoes include an awful lot of water that dilutes the acid and flavor that they bring, and because you need to peel the tomatoes or end up with fragments of slimy tomato skins in the stew.
    ...See More

Beef Stew Questions

Q

Comments (11)
    I love stew. I think there are a few essential things to do,then the rest is up to you and what you like - like leaving out parsnips if you don't like them! 1) make sure you trim the meat well. I hate finding nasty bits of fat or gristle on the meat. 2)toss the meat in a little flour and brown well in some oil, then soften the onion. Do you like garlic? If so, add that now to the onion. 3) do you like wine in your stew? You can add wine, water or stock. 4) decide on which herbs you like. Bay, thyme, parsley...... 5) you can continue to add veggies at stage 2 like celery or carrots. 6) you can fry off som bacon chunks and mushrooms and add them to the stew half an hour before the end of cooking. Have fun inventing your "stew style"!
    ...See More
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago

I stewed some tripe last night. Googled some recipes. Very surprised that few recipes actually tell you that is is important to pre- prepare tripe before you use it in a recipe.

Tripe can come in many ways, and tripe has a very strong tripe flavor, not exactly pleasant. Much stronger than lever taste. I boil tripe first and discard the water before using it. This will remove a lot of the flavor and attached fat.

It is also a good idea to pressure cook tripe. It is very tough.

dcarch

• annie1992
    7 years ago

I agree, Colleen, garniture is a garnish, in whatever translation/language.

dcarch is right, tripe is an "involved" piece of offal, the lining of one of the cow's four stomachs. If the inner lining has not been removed, you need to scrape that out, and you need to clean "green" tripe well, and rinse and soak the "bleached" type. All types need to be handled as suits that particular type.

As mentioned, tripe can be very tough and needs to be cooked for a long time. It also has a flavor that can be overwhelming if not properly prepared, so if you don't want to make tripe stew, it needs to be handled carefully.

Annie

• plllog
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree. We need translation. Some of us are talking about actual stew that is stewed. Some aren't. :) Some are talking about mantle clocks. :)

Google:

gar·ni·ture

ˈɡärniCHər,-ˌCHo͝or/

noun

noun: garniture; plural noun: garnitures

1. a set of decorative accessories, in particular vases.

Wikipedia:

• A garniture is a number or collection of any matching, but usually not identical, decorative objects intended to be displayed together.nb1[1] Frequently made of ormolu,
      gilded wood, porcelain or semi-precious stone, garnitures became
      popular during the latter half of the 17th century and remained in vogue
      throughout the 19th century. Most commonly a garniture is a collection of three matching pieces designed for the adornment of a mantlepiece; for example: a clock and two flanking vases or candelabra. (etc.)

But to be fair, some of the chef's on TV call anything that isn't the protein "garnish", including all vegetables.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

you all are confusing garnish and gariture which are two different things in cooking.

here is the proper definition of each from http://rouxbe.com

Garniture consists of ingredients that are added to a
    dish during, or near the end of, cooking and therefore become an
    integral part of the dish.

Garnish refers to a finishing step whereby
    ingredient(s) are placed on top of a dish for color, texture and visual
    appeal. All garnish should be edible and something that you would
    normally eat.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Well no, I'm quoting Larousse Gastronomique which has a much longer pedigree than any online cooking school, "world's top" or not. And seriously, how can you learn cooking online? How would you know if what you made was as it should be?

• lindac92
    7 years ago

don't believe all terms a Johnny come Lately on line cooking school that is virtually unknown says regarding terms.
    And I am still waiting for this over the top recipe for Beef Bourguinonne (sic) and a beaf ( sic) stew that has a garniture that takes it over the top

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

actually the definition is from escoffier I just figure you all would have trouble with translating from original french.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

colleenoz i was going by term definition not the school it self and if read the definitions you will notice that to are not same at all.

well people learn cook all time by reading cook books and watching cooking on tv do an online cooking school is not so far fetched.

• Islay Corbel
    7 years ago

Garniture : Aliments que l'on ajoute à un plat avant de le servir pour le compléter ou pour le décorer.
    Read more at http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/garniture/36191#JwuEFltyxQmB1orj.99

Seeing as you presume that I would have trouble translating the French, then I'm presuming that you speak the language so you will be able to correct yourself on the definition of garniture which is either something like a sprinkling of parsley or, as Pllog said, a clock. it can also be buttons or any other decoration on clothes or hats.....

We're just trying to help you to understand the flavours of the different cuts of meat and to explain that they need different treatment. Have you ever eaten tripe? Why would you put fillet in a stew?

I do understand flavours and wouldn't want to eat something like that. That's all. It's only MHO

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

You can read and watch as much as you like, and you may even get a good result, but whether you have the _correct_ result only an experienced cook/chef can tell you.

And I think in your quest to seem terribly sophisticated and knowledgeable, you have made a few incorrect assumptions...

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago

Food term history, meaning and definition discussions can be fun. But not always lead to definitive conclusions.

For instance, the other thread on "Soy" discussion, which I don't have time to participate. I happened to lunch with a Chinese couple, they told me that Ketchup in Chinese means " Foreign Squash Juicy" and sauce, juicy, paste, oil, are all somewhat differently expressed, unrelated to "soy".

Have fun.

dcarch

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Here are a few sites where you might find some good information on cooking.
    http://www.pbs.org/food/julia-child/

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Islay Corbel"I would avoid a "stew" made of such ill-matched parts of the cow."

then you will miss one best beef stew recipes I ever tasted.

I made the beef stew with 6 types meats the recipe called for contrary to all judge before you eat crowd the recipe was tasted amazing.

ttfn you where wrong pfft!!!!!!!!

psps I am an always be a person who loves wild good taste food.

• User
    7 years ago

I think you're a person who just likes to stir the pot. Glad you found your concoction enjoyable. That's all that matters. I'll be passing on the recipe request.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the recipe can be found by reading the "shokugeki no soma "manga chapter 83-86

shokugeki no soma anime season 2 episode 5-6

video demonstration of recipe on youtube shokugeki no soma beef stew.

• plllog
    7 years ago

You see! We were right! That's not what we mean by "stew". If you'd actually read our responses you'd know that. As we surmised, she makes all the different meats separately then, voilá, it's a dish of different meats arranged each in its own section. The closest common dish we have to that is "mixed grill". "Stew" doesn't mean a dish with many things in it. It means many things cooked down together to make a single food.

So, as I understand it, this young lady created the recipe to mimic something that was in a magazine or comic book.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

no she copied the recipe from manga she did mimic it since all methods were described in manga and anime. try actually reading the manga, as before you and others need to learn read and listen.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

As I thought....English is not Byrd's first language...and obviously an Asian "stew" is a very different thing from a Western stew or ragout or goulash.
    But I still don't know how "garnitures" came to fit into the picture....unless he was talking about seasonings such as ginger and garlic.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

don't assume lindac because those who assume are usually wrong.

lindac92 try reading the manga and you soon understand the point of "garnitures" part of this thread. But then again you and others should learn read all info related to a thread before you respond to it. You just demonstrated you have not read the whole thread and links related to it, ttfn

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Here is the definition as used here for stew:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew 

That is why I could not find the recipe by searching. Yes, I DID read AND I watched the video. I also Googled that name of the character, which I will not try to spell and read several more references. While it might be called a "stew" in the Far East, it does not mean the same thing here. That's why none of us could help you with what you wanted.

It is certainly an unusual dish and you liked it, so I'm sure you will like it for Christmas. Personally, it looked to me like an episode of "Chopped". There is no need to insult anyone by saying we can't read.

• plllog
    7 years ago

She SAID in the video that she made it her own way since there weren't adequate directions in the manga. You didn't link anything to read. I did read the recipe written under the video. It is as I said above. A bunch of different meats cooked differently and separately then assembled on one plate. Not a stew.

If you would be of a learning mindset, coming in here, rather than trying to show off that you know more than you do, had a pleasant way of communicating rather than confrontational, and actually tried to understand what we're telling you, you'd have realized at the very beginning that you were asking about something using words that mean something entirely different to us. Then you accuse us of not reading! There is nothing we can do for someone who only wants to bark at us rather than having dialog.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

I guess a seafood platter is a stew? After all it is shrimp, oysters, fish, scallops, crabcakes and fries on one plate with your favorite sauce.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

I also read the recipe and viewed the whole video....

• shambo
    7 years ago

I know I'm late to this discussion. I've seen the video and read the recipe given with it. It seems like the young lady in the video made the "stew" Byrd wanted to make. I really don't understand why Byrd even asked for opinions from this site. There already was a demonstration and recipe to follow. What could the members of the Cooking Forum add to what was already available?

Obviously there was a problem in communication. Most of the items were stewed, but they were cooked individually and put together at serving time. That doesn't constitute a stew as most of us on this forum understand it to be. As Pllog said, "It means many things cooked down together to make a single food." The key is the words, "cooked together."

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I found the recipe; after I started this thread.

A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy.

the stew is created from the tail meat, onion,carrots celery and demi-gloss sauce. the onions and other meat parts are add as is stated in both manga and anime at end as garniture. ttfn,

PS try read the manga and watch the anime it will enlighten you if you can be bothered.

• plllog
    7 years ago

WHAT MANGA? You didn't give a link but you chide us for not reading it.

What you describe, what the girl in the video made, isn't stew. By your own admission it isn't stew. One part of the dish is stewed oxtail. There's also a braise, an en papillote, and several other preparations. Putting them on top of the stew doesn't make them stewed.

In the definition of "garniture" that you gave, in an actual stew, is when fresh vegetables are added an hour before serving, to be cooked in the stew, take flavor from the juices, and be part of it, but still be whole and toothsome, unlike the vegetables that go in at the beginning, which break down and become part of the gravy with only a little texture left to identify them (and which are sometimes blended to smithereens). If they were cooked differently, in different vessels, with different flavors, as all those cuts of beef are, they would not be considered part of the stew, but garnish.

We've had a vote. We all agree on the definition of stew. You've demonstrated that what you meant was not a stew. You made the dish. You liked the dish. Why not just accept that it's a mixed beef dish, and call it Anime Beef a la Manga? Then it doesn't matter and you can continue to be pleased with your dish without fighting over the definition of stew.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

I also watched the video, and it's still not a stew as I know it. I also didn't find anything in the video that would make me want to cook that dish, or any dish similar. It just seemed as though she had a bunch of unrelated beef parts and wanted to use them all up.

Maybe this is all just a way to create viewers for that YouTube creator?

Byrd, I'm not sure why, but in this thread you have been demanding, self-important, contentious and condescending. It's not a very good way to introduce yourself to a new group of people, as it is not polite. Whether or not the dish is delicious is a matter of opinion, as taste is not objective, it's subjective. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I can't imagine many people actually cooking and/or eating that, and so I will take your word for it.

Annie

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

We have all gave links to several different dictionaries with the meaning of stew and garniture as known in the English language. Byrd refuses to accept them. By the way, my computer (or Houzz) keeps insisting that I am misspelling garniture. It doesn't think it is a real word!

I am going to try some of the rest of the stew recipes. They sound delicious.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, [anime] ( listen))[a] is Japanese hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation.[1] Outside Japan,anime is used to refer specifically to animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes

This is a cartoon cooking show: shokugeki no soma anime, That is evidently so popular that it has a devoted following recreating the recipes used on the cartoon both on YouTube videos and print blogs.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

And of course manga and anime shows are the definitive source for recipes (not) .

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sherry_7bAL online dictionaries are not relevant to cooking terms.

the correct dictionary to use would be cooking dictionary;

I posted the meaning of the terms garnish and garniture and there different meaning which you and other poster did not recognize or understand when posted them.

colleenoz

In japan anime(Japanese cartoons) and manga(Japanese comics) are one most popular media formats to disseminate just about everything from romance novels to lawn care advice. If you look hard enough in japan you might find a Japanese manga with everything from Grey's anatomy the medical reference guide and harry potter.

comics and anime are not look at as children's viewing only in japan as they are looked at in the USA and Europe.

plllog

here is a link to manga and anime I was in hurry so I thought the posters on this board could find the manga chapters and anime episodes I referenced without a link. Since they can be easily found on google. I thought posters on this forum were capable of using google. I guess was wrong.

once read the manga and watch the anime. get back to me since many

of the responses to my posts would would not have been necessary if you all actually read my posts thoroughly. Most you show simple lack basic understanding and basic comprehension.

warning the manga and anime falls into pg 13-R rating.

Links below for manga and anime Shokugeki no soma aka(Food wars)

manga chapters
    chapter 83

chapter 84

chapter 85

chapter 86

Anime

episode 5

episode 6

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Byrd, Yes they are! The definitions do not change no matter which source you look at. Also, you are watching a cartoon that that pretends to be a cooking contest. It is not real! Just because fans recreate the dish does not make it a real cooking show.Quit trying to be so pretentious, go away and just cook your dish!

I notice you did not question the definition of anime.

You show a basic lack of the English language. However, I have not gone back to all of your posts and corrected the missing words or incorrect punctuation. I feel that would be rude. You don't seem to mind calling all of us idiots though.

You, I am through with.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

If you want Japanese "real" cooking, try a show that is not a cartoon...There are lots out there!
    http://www.nhk.or.jp/dwc/recipes/detail/266.html

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Pardon me for not paying attention and being late to this discussion, but Byrd, how long have you been on GardenWeb Forums? Just curious.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lindac92 the recipe in most japanese manga such as this and other are just as doable the recipes in julia child's french chef. ps the manga that I found the recipe co written by professional chef. the recipe may be over top but most gourmet food in expensive restaurants is.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Recipes in manga and anime are cartoons for children...or for very immature people who think like children.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lindac92 you are wrong in japan manga and anime are a media with equal standing as printed books and coffee table art books. there are categories of manga and anime for both adults,teens and children. there are also written for all intelligence levels. the western view of comics and animation is immature compared to the Japanese example. given some inflexibility and repetitive nature of Japanese language graphic representation are used more readily then in western media forms.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Yes, it is incorrect to assume manga & anime are only for youth. I understand they are popular & perfectly acceptable forms of adult entertainment in Japan - even as porn - which is decidedly NOT for kids. I've watched my fair share of anime - from TV shows to films as an adult & enjoyed it very much. I am not so familiar w/ all the manga series, but many series are produced in both formats.

If Shokugeki no soma is really a comedy (as categorized by Google) how "serious" are the recipes, I wonder...?

Also wondering why such strict parsing of language here? Seems like feathers are being ruffled...?

cooking glossary definition of 'garniture'

• plllog
    7 years ago

Ah. You learned your manners from this comic too. As the girl in the manga says: "Could you stop belittling me...? I can tell that much without eating it."

If you respected this forum, you would know that if you want people to read things and watch videos you post them here. Sometimes we will go out of our way to follow links, but posters do not expect that all will. In ANY discussion forum, if you specifically want something to be read, you provide a link. I could Google, but why would I just to do your work for you, especially since one of us already had?

The translation in the manga is very inaccurate. It's sufficient to kind of carry the meaning to an English speaker who can reinterpret it to make more sense. Your problem has been on insisting on using the language from this. The manga is right, though, where it said it in a sideways manner, that you can't make a "western" style dish with miso. :) It then says that beef belly is what is most commonly used for stew, but that's not true in North America, at least (I can't speak for the rest of the West), where, as you've seen, the go-to is chuck, which is from the shoulder. Then they compare the preparation of the stewed oxtail to soft shelled turtle burger! That is something we don't have, so I can't comment on the preparation. I'm pretty sure that our local turtles, where I live, are endangered and not allowed to be killed and eaten, though perhaps someone is farming them... And there are turtle pets. I suppose you could eat that kind if you wanted to...

So, the last chapter you linked is where you got the ridiculous notion that boeuf bourguignon is "the origin of beef stew". That's another poor translation or misstatement. It might be the first one codified in a cookbook, or it might be considered by some to be the finest beef stew, but beef stew's "origin" is from about the time cavemen learned to cook meat in a vessel and had an animal of the family bos (beef) to eat.

The manga proceeds to discuss "garniture" and "garnish" interchangeably, and use it to mean decoration, as we advised you from the beginning. They're talking about the vegetables, not the many cuts of beef. We do not normally put "croutons" in beef stew. Beef stew is also not strained. The juices/gravy and stew are served in the same dish.

At the end, he brings out all these different cuts, does seem to be preparing each separately, as the young lady in the video did, because, as we said, it's the only sensible way to do it. His goal isn't a beef stew, it's to wow the judges of a fictional contest. I don't see a recipe.

The whole thing is a fiction of a cooking contest. Like much fiction, it isn't completely realistic. That's fine for a story. Just as many manga hair styles cannot be achieved without glue, this all parts of the beef thing can't be achieved without a lot of pots, and the result isn't an actual Western beef stew, even though it seems to have won the contest.

Which is what we've been telling you from the beginning without reading your book.

Unfortunately, the lack of comprehension is on your side. The manga does not in any way controvert what we have said, though now I see where you got some of your misinformation.

While it may be true that serious cookery is presented in manga form somewhere, in these chapters of this book it is not. It's a typical Young Adult story about winning a contest against a cheating, leering competitor, the cooking details are practically nil, and are hazy where they are presented. That is because they're there because the story is about a cooking contest, and serve the movement of the plot. They are not meant to be the presentation of a recipe.

I see no reason to spend more of my time on this, so I will not bother with the anime, which one assumes are more of the same.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

And so we are right back where we all started from. This is what has been said nicely from the very begining. Thank you, Pillog.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nope, I was not punking you. the only fools are those in this thread who have shown they don't understand basic research and definitions.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the manga basic beef stew recipe before change the beef tail , and garnture

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Interesting. No mention of how many servings, but I'm guessing 3-4?

Definitely not French, American or Euro style beef stew. Seems more like a hybrid of Japanese & Euro...

& is the middle school reference about the contributor or a character from Food Wars?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Nope. Not appealing to me at all.

• byrd2park
    Original Author
    7 years ago

carolb_w_fl the middle school reference is about character. who created the dish before going to the high school the setting the majority of story takes place in.

also the recipe clearly says below the word Ingredients (serves four)!!!!

• shambo
    7 years ago

OK, I read the recipe. It sounds like a basic beef stew. For Americans or Europeans, the only slightly unusual ingredients in the basic stew would be the tablespoon each of ketchup and white miso. As far as the separately cooked broccoli, carrot and string beans, the only unusual veggie is the broccoli. Carrots are ubiquitous when it comes to stew, and Greeks are well known for fasolakia, a green bean stew. Cooking those veggies separately and then topping the stew with them is not that unusual an approach. Although, I'd personally prefer to have the carrot and string beans cooked in the stew liquid to absorb the delicious flavors.

As I said before, except for the broccoli, it sounds like a basic beef stew recipe. I know I've sometimes used a bit of soy sauce or miso to improve the beefy flavor of stew. Certainly not enough to make the dish taste Asian. Lots of folks add a bit of ketchup to soups and stews too, so that's not unique either. For me, it's the broccoli that is unusual. And, for my tastes, it doesn't fit.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Yup. It says "make the garniture" and "deocrate with [the pieces from the garniture step] on top". Just as we told you--decorations. In this recipe, the garniture is the vegetables. Also cooked separately, which means they're not part of the stew, but an accompaniment. Garniture, in this case is an appropriate word. In the story, the character adds a bunch of different preparations of beef as additional accompaniments/decorations. As we told you. These are not listed in your recipe. They are things added to the plate just to be impressive and not actually part of the stew.

Re cooking: If you have a way to steam, rather than boil, the vegetables, they'll loose fewer vitamins and retain more firmness.