SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Beef Stew

User
14 years ago

Clive has mentioned several times now that he really loves a good stew. I hate stew and have never made one. I've made "fancy" stews like Beef Bourgiuonne , Stroganoff and the like but he means plain old stew.

Anyone have a good T&T recipe? Especially interested in what type of beef to buy. The beef labeled "stew beef" in the store looks very fatty to me.

Comments (39)

• User
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sharon, beef stew is one of those recipes that is hard to write down. I never measure any of the ingredients. I prefer my beef stew to have a brothy sauce rather than a thick gravy. And, I also like the meat and vegetables to be cut in large pieces.

I use to buy beef from the butcher to make stew but for the last couple of years I've been buying the "stewing beef" from Costco. It isn't fatty and the meat cooks up tender with a wonderful flavour. I also use it to make Goulash.

Here is my general outline for a beef stew. I alway makes dumplings when I make beef stew.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Beef Stew
    =========
    I like simple beef stews that are more brothy then in a thick gravy. I don't have an exact recipe as I usually just wing it. Here is basically what I do.

Brown beef chunks in some oil. Add some chopped shallots and a minced garlic clove. Cover with beef broth, add a bay leaf and a sprig of fresh thyme and simmer for until meat is almost tender. Add some whole small onions peeled, celery cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and simmer for another 30 minutes and then add potatoes cut into large chunks, a couple of carrots cut into pieces, some fresh green beans, and some rutabaga cut into chunks. Simmer until vegetables are tender add some peas and then cook some dumplings on top. Serve in bowls. I find that beef used in stew takes at least 2 hours to become tender, depending on the size of the beef cubes and the cut of beef used.

Sometimes I add wedges of cabbage instead of turnip. You can also add other vegetables of your choice, ie. parsnips, sweet potatoes, etc..

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Oh Sharon! LOL!

What is it he wants in a stew that he isn't getting in the Boeuf Bourgignon? Can you just add the chunks of carrots, etc to your standard recipe? Can you "dumb it down" from a fancy recipe to a plain old one?

As one who loves Boeuf Bourgignon, any "stew" I have ever had was a disappointment compared to the original.

Alexa

• Related Discussions

Beef Stew Questions

Q

Comments (11)
    I love stew. I think there are a few essential things to do,then the rest is up to you and what you like - like leaving out parsnips if you don't like them! 1) make sure you trim the meat well. I hate finding nasty bits of fat or gristle on the meat. 2)toss the meat in a little flour and brown well in some oil, then soften the onion. Do you like garlic? If so, add that now to the onion. 3) do you like wine in your stew? You can add wine, water or stock. 4) decide on which herbs you like. Bay, thyme, parsley...... 5) you can continue to add veggies at stage 2 like celery or carrots. 6) you can fry off som bacon chunks and mushrooms and add them to the stew half an hour before the end of cooking. Have fun inventing your "stew style"!
    ...See More

Adjustments for Beef stew

Q

Comments (2)
    You can always reduce or leave out any low-acid ingredient (like the potatoes) as it only improves the safety (raises the acidity level and reduces the density) as long as the amounts of the other ingredients remains the same. The safety issues arise when you try substitutions or increases of the other ingredients because both can negatively affect both the pH and the density. So in your specific instance: "So if I cut the potatoes to 6 cups each, add 2 cups cut green beans, drop the carrots and celery to 2 cups each, divide this equally between 7 quart jars and fill with liquid from boiling or tomato juice would I be in danger of not having a properly processed jar? " No problem except you couldn't add the beans. The only problem would be if you tried to increase any of the other ingredients. Dave
    ...See More

Beef stew

Q

Comments (17)
    I made a moose stew mid week between the holidays. It's enough for us on its own with all the indulgences before and after....but with family Mom always makes a big platter of extra veg. Carrots, potato, sweet potatoes. etc. A fresher version than what was in her stew. And often a big bowl of buttered egg noodles. I think it was to make sure we all got enough and to stretch the dollar. It was always a favorite winter Sunday meal and relatives often stopped by. Noodles are a good addition but way too heavy on the carb now.
    ...See More

Beef Stew in the Crockpot

Q

Comments (11)
    Chuck is usually the less expensive cut! You need something with a certain amount of toughness/connective tissue to really stew it--something that will hold up--but otherwise anything works. Skirt steak used to be dead cheap, but now that the world has discovered fajitas, and that the skirt is really tasty compared to most cuts of domestic beef, it costs a ton. Brisket has become beloved of the barbecue crowd, so it's no longer cheap. Well marbled meat makes poor stew because once the fat is rendered out the good of the meat goes too. I've made stew from lean sirloin by cooking the veg mostly separately, browning the meat, and combining just for the meat to get done. But that depends on a blowout price on the sirloin, or a plan for other use dying on the vine. Because I trust the butchers where I shop, I don't mind buying "stew meat" which is a melange. It's nice pieces of meat trimmed off as they're cutting. They cook at different rates and have different flavors. The latter can make the stew more interesting, and the former doesn't matter if you're giving the meat plenty of time in the pot. I've heard that some butchers/companies throw "bad" meat together and call it stew. I don't know what that means. I don't mind paying less for odds and ends, and having to trim it up a bit.
    ...See More
  • jojoco
    14 years ago

Chase,
    I love the following recipe, but, like everyone else here, I tend to tweak a bit. I don't use rutabaga and I add a cup of red wine. Oh, and I use beef base, not water. It is really good.
    As far as meat goes, I don't care for the stew beef because it can be tough, even on a low, slow cook. I use sirloin (I asked for meat that I could use for meat fondue since it would have to be tender). I also dredge the meat in seasoned (s&p) flour before browning it.

Now you have me wanting some.
    Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: whole foods recipe for beef barley stew

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Chase, I think everyone's stew is different. I like a thick stew, with a kind of gravy. I know Ann T likes a brothy type of stew, like soup with bigger pieces of beef and vegetables. I'd prefer no tomatoes in my stew, others love 'em.

I use chuck when I'm making stew, I just take a chuck roast and cut it into pieces. This is the recipe from my old Betty Crocker cookbook, I usually start it on the stove top in my dutch oven, then move it to a 250-300F oven for about three hours to cook. I put it back on the stovetop to thicken it, or I drop in herb dumplings, or I just cut out biscuits, place them on top of the stew, turn up the oven and bake until the biscuits are done. Oh, and I never put the pepper in there, I don't like cooked green pepper.

Classic Beef Stew

1 tablespoon vegetable oil or shortening
    1 lb boneless beef chuck, tip or round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large unpeeled potato, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 dried bay leaf
    1/2 cup cold water
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

In 12-inch skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Add beef; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides.

Add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes or until beef is almost tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. Cover; cook about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.

In tightly covered jar or container, shake cold water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until thickened.

This one was Dad's favorite, he liked the tomatoes and it's the only beef stew I've ever had that had barley, Grandma said the recipe came from her stepmother's mother, or something like that, and it makes a LOT. We used soup bones sometimes, but our "soup bones" were more like slices of shank or pieces of short rib, there was a lot of meat on soup bones back then.

Grandma Roach's Beef Stew

A couple of pounds soup bones (we just used chuck usually)
    A couple of quarts of water
    5 potatoes
    5 carrots
    1 onion
    1/2 cup barley (not instant)
    1 quart canned tomatoes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 bay leaf
    2 or 3 big spoonfuls of flour
    1/2 cup cold water

Place soup bones and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle and boil. Turn down heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
    Cool bones, then pick off the meat and add it back to the pot. Chop up the potatoes, carrots and onion, put in the pot with the barley, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for at least an hour or until vegetables and barley are cooked through. Pick out the bayleaf and throw it away.

Combine flour and cold water until smooth, I shake it up in a pint canning jar, then stir into stew. Boil it for a couple of minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste, then serve. It's good over biscuits.

So there you have my entire repertoire of beef stew recipes, LOL. I hope it helps. I know Ann T has at least one too.

Annie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, it took so long to post mine that three others posted while I was typing out the recipe, LOL. It's OK, now I have them on my computer with my other recipes!

Annie

• jimster
    14 years ago

There's not much I can add to the recipe suggestions. I can offer a suggestion on which cut(s) to use. My stand-by for stew, pot roast, chile, etc. is chuck roast. It's probably what they are selling, cut up, as stew beef, but you get to select the piece which appeals to you in terms of fat, marbling and gristle.

Recently I got some shoulder steak, a cut I haven't noticed before. It was very good. If I'm not mistaken, chuck is a neck cut also. These cuts have good flavor and nice texture when cooked long and low.

Jim

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I like it similar to Annie's classic made with chuck and somewhat thick although not sludgy, of course. I like rosemary to flavor beef stew.
    I also like it very dark brown and really put effort in browning the meat well.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Like Ann, no "recipe"....I just buy round steak or roast and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces, shake the meat with flour in a bag....and brown in a couple of tablespoons of oil.
    When the meat is almost browned, I add a couple of cloves ( for 1 1/2 pounds meat) minced garlic and a medium onion diced and continue until all is browned....then add a cup of dry red wine, and "some" beef broth....enough to cover the meat.
    Add a bay leaf, about a tsp of worchestershire..put a lid on your Le Cruset pot ( grin!) and put it into a 250 oven or keep it on the lowest simmer on the stove for about an hour.
    Peel and cut up 4 or 5 carrots and 6 or 7 small red potatoes. Add some more of that beef broth if you need to to almost cover the stew, and add about 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar ( to counteract the sweet of the carrots and onions) but the lid back on and simmer another 45 minutes.
    If you like a thick gravy, make a slurry of more of that beef broth and 3 or so tablespoons of flour....pour slowly into the simmering stew....stir and simmer another 6 or 7 minutes....check seasonings and serve.

wine

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Yesterday's beef stew was a pressure cooker product - browned 10 oz of oxtails, threw in a mirepoix /stock/wine/ tomatoe sauce/seasonngs for 30 minutes, then added a diced tri-tip (thats all TJs had....) for another 30 minutes.

Seems you add what you want, according to your tastes. I would love to throw shrooms in mine but the kids would revolt!

• jimster
    14 years ago

" I also like it very dark brown and really put effort in browning the meat well."

That is SO important. Have patience with the browning. It's the key to a great tasting beef stew.

I use cubes of chuck roast instead of ground beef for making chili . Browning well makes the chili incredibly good flavor.

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure from all that you've shared I can put something together himself will enjoy. I'll let you know.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

I use just about the same as everyone else, except some times,
    I'll use Steak, that was a little too chewey and frozen for later

Most of the time, I use a roast, cut in cubes.

I add a Tomatoe source. For 2 lbs. of meat I'll throw in a small tomatoe or 1/2 cup of Spaghetti Sauce.
    Also a level teaspoon of Garlic Powder, along with the other spices.

I agree with Jim on the Browning.
    Lou

• triciae
    14 years ago

Ann, thanks for the picture of the dumplings in your beef stew! Duh, I've never thought of adding dumplings to anything 'cept chix 'n dumplings. We like beef stew with a loose gravy consistency & I usually omit potatoes from the stew & rather make mashed red potatoes (skin left on) & serve the stew over the potatoes. Next time, I'm making dumplings!

I also like to add a sprig of rosemary while the meat is cooking. What's sold as "stew meat" here it tough as shoe leather so I use chuck or even sirloin tip strips if it's on sale.

/tricia

• User
    14 years ago

Here's a recipe from my mother's church cookbook from the 1970's. It's very good. I've made it successfully for many years and it's always been a hit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect beef stew

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Mom that sounds like something that may be up himself's alley....he said he wanted peas, carrots, potatoes and onions!

I'm going to check with him about the dumplings so many of you mention...now those could eat!

• User
    14 years ago

In the event that you decide to make dumplings,......

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Dumplings for Beef or Chicken Stew
    ==================================
    Regular Dumplings
    -------------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 Tablespoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons shortening(butter/margarine or crisco
    3/4 to 1 cup of milk

Mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening. Add enough milk to make a soft wet dough. Drop by tablespoon on to the top of stew and cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.

--------------------------------------

Parsley Bread Dumplings
    =======================
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 slices white bread, quartered
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    Combine parsley and bread in processor; whirl until medium
    size crumbs. Add 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; process just until combined. Add 1/2 cup milk and butter; process using on-off pulses just until blended. 5 Drop mounded tablespoons of dumpling mixture into stew.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann , meant to say now those I could eat!!!! You know me I love my carbs!

Which reminds me I've been thinking about a "boiled" stuffing you and I made years ago. It was ro9lled up like as sausage I think. Runs in my mind it was a German recipe and that an old boy friend of yours mother used to make it....am I dreaming? I've searched my files and can't come up with it but it was so good!

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Like ann_t, I don't use a recipe for stew. Mine always comes from a crock pot and everything goes. I find making stew in a crock pot most forgiving. You can always change something in the middle of cooking, if you feel like it.

Ann-t, I was about to take a bite of the computer when I saw the pictures of your beef stew. By the way, all the recipes look really good!

Al

• User
    14 years ago

No you aren't dreaming Sharon. I tried for years to find a recipe that was similar to the one I remembered. I finally just winged it. I make my regular bread and sage stuffing and moisten it with eggs. The number depends on how much stuffing. At least four and sometimes more. Then I butter either a piece of cheese cloth or a tea towel,spoon on the stuffing and tightly roll up, tying the ends and then poach in a pot of water that I season with chicken bouillon. Simmer for about 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool a little and then unwrap and slice.

Matt was actually hoping that I would make it for Christmas dinner. But he didn't mention it until it was too late.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

As Jimster said, the browning of the individual pieces of meat are they real key to good beef stew. I make mine in the pressure cooker:

BEEF STEW (PRESSURE COOKER)

1-1/2 lb. stew beef, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
    1 Tblsp. shortening
    1-1/2 c. water
    1 (10-1/2 oz.) can condensed beef broth
    Pepper to taste
    2 large potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
    3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 medium stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 tsp. salt
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 c. cold water
    2 Tblsp. all-purpose flour

Cook and stir beef in 4-quart pressure cooker. Add 1/4 cup water, the broth and pepper. Cover and cook at 15 pounds pressure for 12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; reduce pressure. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook at 15 pounds pressure for 3 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; reduce pressure. Shake 1/2 cup water and the flour in tightly covered container; gradually stir into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.

• jimster
    14 years ago

"...browned ox tails..."

"...threw in a mirepoix /stock/wine/ tomatoe sauce/seasonings..."

That's my kind of recipe!!!!

Jim

• jessyf
    14 years ago

LOL and high five Jim

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I can't add much here Sharon other than I think himself will love some good beef stew. I just cut up a chuck roast on my own. The stores down here do sell stew meat and lean stew meat but for the price it's cheaper to cut up my own roast. I just made this Sunday, took a pic of it in the pot so I could post on WFD. Guess I need to do it!

I'm going to have to give those dumplings a try Ann. My DGM made the best dumplings way back when. It's been many years since I've had them. The stuffing recipe has caught my interest too. Thanks for posting.....mmmmm and it's time to make stuffed ribs too now that I'm thinking about it.

David

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    I subscribed for CI Magazine. Just recieved my first issue. Cooks Illustrated.
    This months, on page 2 had an Article on cooking and Browning stew beef.

Just like you said !!!!!
    Lou

• ritaotay
    14 years ago

Years ago beef stew was made to stretch the meat to feed large families... Nothing fancy, just meat and veggies, salt and pepper and if you had the time and flour you'd add dumplings... I make both brown and red stew, with the red being made with some sort of tomato product and usually made with beef neck bones ( when I can find them )... I've used just about every cut of beef from neck bones to sirloin but the cut I like best is Petite steak... As least I think that's how it's spelled... Usually each piece is about the size of two fingers, sometimes thin sometimes as thick as and inch and a half... There's hardly any fat on it but there is an irregular thin streak of white stuff running through the middle that cooks up sorta translucent and I believe that is what makes the cut so tender... Usually by the time the meat is browned up it's time to add the diced veggies.... Mighty tasty too and most of the time I use water instead of beef stock.

Rita

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Stew is like spaghetti sauce in that there is no "right" way to make it, and everyone has their own preferences and tricks.

I prefer a nice, rich, thick gravy, and I like chunks of potatoes in my stew even if I make dumplings, serve it over rice or noodles or bake bread to go with it.

I agree with those who pointed out that taking time and care to really brown the meat well is well worth it. But I don't like to coat the meat with flour, I don't think it's necessary and when browning several batches of meat the flour in the pan burns too easily. I brown the meat "bare" in a well seasoned cast iron fry pan which I then deglaze with some of the stock.

I thicken my gravy with a roux, and that is another thing to take time with. I like a nice brown roux for beef stew, not quite chocolate, but darker than peanut butter, and a peanut butter color roux if it is a pork stew. I generally make the roux with bacon fat, which I justify to myself by the fact that I use no fat in the browning of the meat. :)

• jimster
    14 years ago

Rachelellen,

What you say about browning, flour and roux are exactly right in my experience. Flour will burn easily and it is likely that, by the time you have browned all the meat, there will be more flour than you want in the stew. I do it your way, although I haven't often made the brown roux except for things like gumbo. I will try it in my stew and chili.

Lou,

Keep showering me with compliments. I like it. And of course, I AM the first one who ever thought of browning mean really well when making stew. I'm not ashamed to take credit. I deserve every bit of it. ;-)

BTW, isn't that smug, emaciated Chris Kimball involved with CI? Never trust a skinny chef who never smiles.

Jim

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Yes, Jim, that's him, Chris Kimball. I'm not sure he even farms, really, LOL.

Rachelellen, you never have to justify the use of bacon grease. It's a perfect food. (grin) I don't flour the meat usually, either, but it's because I'm either in a hurry or too lazy, plus I don't want to dirty another utensil to toss it in the flour. Yeah, I know...

Annie

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well thanks to you all I do believe I'm good to go!

I have a beautiful chuck roast, some carrots, mushrooms, celery, yellow pearl onions, small potatoes and some peas. Lots of homemade stock and most importantly a Le Cruset!

...and Jim I promise I'll brown the meat well !!!!

Himeslf says no thanks to dumplings, silly man, but OK to homemade biscuits on the side.

I'll report back hopefully with pics!

Thanks again!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    Hold on there. That doesn't mean I don't Brown the meat
    thoroughly. Done it for years. lol
    I use flour on the bottom after the meat is " Browned Well"

But you can have all the credit. Just send me a few bucks.

I'd rather have your input on cooking seafood.

I don't know about Cris Kimble. I just looked at all the Photo's and the cooking tips.

Chase:
    Put in all the longer cooking Veggies first, then add accordingly.

LOU

• dalepar
    14 years ago

As all have said, stew is an individual thing and no set rules. I shy away from the stew meat at the grocery, and buy whatever lean roast or cheap steak is on sale. Then I can trim and cut up my own chunks. I have used round steak, etc. The must have in my stew is some pearl barley. I also love the carrots, so more carrots than potato. A few pieces of celery are also a great addition. I used to make a curry stew, but have not for many years now.
    Dale P

• jimster
    14 years ago

"I'd rather have your input on cooking seafood."

That would be golden, not well browned, so we would need to start a new thread, wouldn't we? I'm game. I know from previous discussions that you could teach me a thing or two about seafood. Of course, seafood was the first thing that attracted me to Cape Cod years ago, then became the reason to retire here and to remain here, year in and year out. So I can say with all modesty that I am pretty well versed in seafood, whether it be catching, gathering, cooking or eating it.

We need to get together at the shore, either your shore or mine, and have a feast.

Jim

• jimster
    14 years ago

"I'd rather have your input on cooking seafood."

That would be golden, not well browned, so we would need to start a new thread, wouldn't we? I'm game. I know from previous discussions that you could teach me a thing or two about seafood. Of course, seafood was the first thing that attracted me to Cape Cod years ago, then became the reason to retire here and to remain here, year in and year out. So I can say with all modesty that I am pretty well versed in seafood, whether it be catching, gathering, cooking or eating it.

We need to get together at the shore, either your shore or mine, and have a feast.

Jim

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    Do you want to get together 2 times ??? LOL

I did the same as you. Went hunting in the Pocono's for years and bought a lot.
    Built a home and retired here.

That sounds good , getting together. I never made it to Cape Cod.
    I could eat a whole Lobster right now.
    This may be sacrilege but we cooked a Lobster in Marinara Sauce, one time.
    It was really good.
    Talk to you later. Didn't realize the time.
    LOU

PS: IF you want bring your Family here anytime. I have a lot of room.
    But I would need some advance notice. At least 2 minutes.

• jimster
    14 years ago

"IF you want bring your Family here anytime. I have a lot of room. "

NOW you tell me!!!! We PAID to stay in the Poconos, TWICE!

It's a nice place. So far as the shore is concerned, I guess yours would be the Jersey Shore or Delaware Bay. I've been to neither and would like to see them.

Lobster was $10 a pound here this week, and that was for the larger ones, not the chicken size. The chickens were cheaper but they are unsatisfying.

Jim

• jimster
    14 years ago

"IF you want bring your Family here anytime. I have a lot of room. "

NOW you tell me!!!! We PAID to stay in the Poconos, TWICE!

It's a nice place. So far as the shore is concerned, I guess yours would be the Jersey Shore or Delaware Bay. I've been to neither and would like to see them.

Lobster was $10 a pound here this week, and that was for the larger ones, not the chicken size. The chickens were cheaper but they are unsatisfying.

Jim

• jimster
    14 years ago

OK. I've double posted twice now. Shall I try for a triple?

I'm getting fed up with the touch pad on this new computer. It has a mind of its own. Time to get a mouse.

Jim

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    It's a good thing you didn't pay by Computer, to stay in the Pocono's.
    It would have been 4 times. LOL !!!

I picked up an Optical Mouse at Walmart's, it's not wireless.Had it about a year.
    Had to return the Wireless Mouse, made me crazy.
    Does the $10 a lb. lobster, taste like chicken.

Where did you stay in the Pocono's ?
    I'm over the Mtn. from Big Boulder Ski Slopes.
    I can see it from my back deck.

Used to walk up there when hunting. That's when dinosaurs were still roaming.
    Lou
    PS: Are we highjacking the Post ???

• hawk307
    14 years ago

OK:
    So I'll put in a Beef Stew thing.

Sometimes, I'll use Small or Swedish Meat Balls to make a Beef Stew.
    But then I don't bake them. I brown them in a Skillet , so
    the juices can be used for the Stew.

The Swedish Meat Balls are the same as my Italian Meat Ball recipe,
    Except I add some Cream of Mushroom Soup.
    Lou

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz