Have you ever had one of these moments while reading a novel ?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Discussions
What is the most memorable holiday meal you have ever had?
Comments (51)A few years back my wife and I were traveling on business in Brazil over Thanksgiving. A professor my wife was working with took us and several of the students to a churrascaria for dinner on Thanksgiving. (A churrascaria is a restaurant where servers roam around the restaurant with skewers of various cooked meats, continually stopping at each table to carve off some to everyone at the table) While there I mentioned that it was the US holiday of Thanksgiving and described it to the professor and the Brazilian students in general terms: get together with family and/or friends and have a large meal together, and described the "traditional" Thanksgiving meal. I was merely trying to make conversation, and make the point that what we were doing was pretty similar to the Thanksgiving tradition. However the professor responded "I'll see what I can do" and flagged the head waiter over, and spoke to him in rapid Portuguese. The waiter responded to us "We don't have any turkey but I'll see what we can do." and disappeared into the kitchen. About 10 minutes later he emerged from the kitchen followed by a server carrying a large skewer of meat, he presented it to us with a big beaming smile saying "This is as close as we could get to turkey. It's Ostrich." It didn't taste even a little like turkey, but it was delicious....See MoreDo you ever read more than one book at a time?
Comments (30)carolyn, I liked your word, "tidy-minded". It doesn't really apply to me as far as my reading, but I liked the word. Read more than one? Always. Always an upstairs book, at least one downstairs book. At least two in the car, one in my purse, one paperback mystery shoved under the seat of DH's SUV (just in case... shhhh... he doesn't know it's there.) and quite often, an audio tape in my car as well... the current audio tape is a Hamish McBeth mystery, Death of a Perfect Wife. And I usually have one textbook-type non-fiction book that I read in bits and pieces, too. Right now, that book is William J. Bennett's AMERICA: The Last Best Hope, volume 1. I cannot seem to hold myself to just one book. We are going on vacation in a month or two and with the new weight restrictions on luggage, I am seriously considering paring down the clothes so I can take the same number of books. PAM...See MoreWhat's your area of interest (if you have one) when you read?
Comments (37)AnnPann - I did a little digging for you, and although I didn't find any specific sites referring to that situation, I found some books that might address it: Australia-focused home front books: S.J. Butlin and C.B. Schedvin, War Economy 1942Â1945, Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 1997 Darian-Smith, Kate. On the Home Front: Melbourne in Wartime, 1939-1945. Australia: Oxford UP, 1990. Saunders, Kay. War on the Homefront: State Intervention in Queensland, 1938-1948 (1993) The Home Front Volume I by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986) The Home Front Volume II by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986) Political and External Affairs by Frederick Lloyd Whitfeld (1958) NZ official history Britain: Calder, Angus . The People's War: Britain 1939-45 (1969) Harris, Carol (2000). Women at War 1939-1945: The Home Front. Thrupp: Sutton Publishing Limited. ISBN 0-7509-2536-1. Marwick, Arthur (1976). The Home Front: The British and the Second World War. Rose, Sonya O. (2003) Which People's War?: National Identity and Citizenship in Wartime Britain 1939-1945 Misc: Costello, John. Love, Sex, and War: Changing Values, 1939-1945 1985. US title: Virtue under Fire: How World War II Changed Our Social and Sexual Attitudes Noakes, Jeremy ed., The Civilian in War: The Home Front in Europe, Japan and the U.S.A. in World War II Exeter, UK: University of Exeter, 1992. Then below is a link to an interesting site about a community in London with oral histories etc (won't hurt your eyes).... Might be relevant... Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Histories: East Community Heritage (London)...See MoreHave you ever read about a place and then wanted to go visit?
Comments (32)We had German and Austrian friends who said that Hillerman’s novels, and others set in the SW, are very popular so German-speakers really like to visit. Lars, I like your recollection that OKC could seem so exotic. Of course, I also read the Little House books, and rather than visit a place, I wanted to visit that time. Still do. To soar over the virgin prairie, or journey through it, to watch life in the Big Woods, to peer in the windows of The Long Winter. Another is Pillars of the Earth. I want to time-travel as an observer of medieval Europe....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESNovel Ways With Bedroom Books
Reading and relaxing go hand in hand. See how designers are incorporating mini and all-out libraries in the bedroom
Full Story
WINDOWSPhoto Flip: 85 Window Seats for Whiling Away the Day
Grab a good book and settle in for a spell in one of these amazing window seats
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE9 Tips for Living a (Semi-)Normal Life While Your Home Is Being Shown
Preparation, routine and treats help you make the house you’re selling presentable at a moment’s notice
Full Story
LIFEMake Money From Your Home While You're Away
New services are making occasionally renting your home easier than ever. Here's what you need to know
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHaving a Design Moment: The Dining Room
Consider these 14 tweaks to bust your dining room's look out of a matchy-matchy furniture-set slump
Full Story
MOST POPULAR15 Remodeling ‘Uh-Oh’ Moments to Learn From
The road to successful design is paved with disaster stories. What’s yours?
Full Story
MODERN HOMESHouzz Tour: Updating an Eichler While Preserving Its Spirit
Architects and builders keep this home’s integrity intact while remodeling the kitchen, creating a master suite and adding energy efficiency
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHow to Protect (Even Enhance!) Your Relationship While Renovating
No home improvement project is worth a broken heart. Keep your togetherness during a remodel with this wise advice
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHow to Remodel Your Relationship While Remodeling Your Home
A new Houzz survey shows how couples cope with stress and make tough choices during building and decorating projects
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWeekend Project: DIY Side Table With a Novel Twist
See how to make this clever $30 over-the-sofa table for your coffee and book
Full Story
annpanagain