SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

New Paul Barden Roses at Rogue Valley Roses

Hey guys,

I just noticed on Rogue Valley Roses' homepage that they have introduced two new Paul Barden roses; 'Dakota Redwing' and "Little Grey Pearl'. While not antique roses, I know many here, myself included, grow and love his roses. I know some have been waiting for 'Dakota Redwing' to be released for quite some time.

-Chris

Comments (42)

• jerijen
    7 years ago

'Little Grey Pearl', in particular, makes my heart beat faster. (And I'm not a big fan of Minis.)

I WISH WISH WISH they would offer 'Carolyn Supinger.' (If you're going to contact them -- ASK for it!)

Also a Mini, it is another rose whose color photography can't capture well . . .

It is also a very attractive little plant with (at least in my increasingly-weird climate) total resistance to disease.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's very lovely Jeri! I've looked at Dakota Redwing for a while at Rogue Valley's site. It always showed a $12 price, though not available. I see the price is now almost $22. No big deal, but just noticed it. I agree " Little Gray Pearl" is so unusual, it's tempting. I just love all my Paul Barden roses! Mels Heritage is growing like crazy in a tough spot. Lisa

• Related Discussions

Anyone grow RVR's Paul Barden's Cabbage Rose?

Q

Comments (39)
    I gave my mystery rose a few gentle rubs on the buds and new growth this afternoon. I definitely detected a light resin scent. Not as strong as on say Henri Martin, which I used to compare, but definitely present. The buds are still small, but hopefully if it stays warm and sunny, I will have color soon!
    ...See More

Rogue Valley Roses looks like they have a bunch of roses back in stock

Q

Comments (68)
    Pulease...you guys. I am laughing so hard. I can think of so many forum members who make much better bouquets than I ever could. The thing about RR and Ascot is you just need a lot of blooms to stuff in a vase--the blooms do it all for you--plonks for the lazy. I just looked up Jude a while ago to see his parentage, if possible. No, it can't be...Abe Darby is a parent. My little runt Abe which grows next to my 8+ft tall Jude. Something is wrong here. Diane
    ...See More

Paul Barden Roses

Q

Comments (20)
    Not yet, here, Paul. The color, as it is, is astounding here. I might have to get another and plant in a different spot to get the purple. I plan on the Diablo Hawk being a bit away from DR on that same retaining wall. It will be interesting to see that color here too. That retaining wall is very visible but does not have the best soil. OTOH, I have not lost any to gophers there. My husband bought a bag of Milorganite because he heard on NPR it might repel gophers. I might sprinkle it down in my Southeast corner where 3/6 gopher attacks have occurred. I have hope but the Gopher Hawk has been my best bet so far. Possibly my soil could be better fertilized to enhance the Dakota Redwing purple too.
    ...See More

Mystery Rose from Rogue Valley Roses

Q

Comments (17)
    It really does look like the photos of Ginger Syllabub, which is funny because that's one that has been on my wish list. Maybe someone who grows Ginger will chime in, but I think that's a good guess. I was thinking it also looks like Barden's October Moon but I figured he would have identified it for you if that's what it is.
    ...See More
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I just got a great looking Dakota Redwing from RVR and potted it in a 2gal. I did put in a request for Carolyn Supinger last March. I should ask every time I talk to them. I know I would love it. I can't wait to see Dakota bloom.

• jerijen
    7 years ago

Please do ask, Sheila. I think that's the only way we're gonna spring Carolyn ... and it's too good to lose.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

I was able to grab a LITTLE GREY PEARL last yr when RVR briefly put it up on their website. It's been a very good rose so far. It's in an 8" ceramic pot and has gotten about 12"x8", is very healthy and the blooms repeat nicely. They are small, about 3/4" when fully open and are an interesting "true" grey with a lighter center. In cooler temps it turns a little more lavender.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

I also snagged both of these as soon as they were available, and I've been waiting breathlessly for Dakota Redwing even more than the other exquisite Barden roses RV sells. I have routinely added a query for them in communications with RV, and while I doubt I made much individual difference I believe I have added my voice to the process. I'm happy to do the same on behalf of Carolyn Supinger, who also looks to be an exquisite rose. Any idea of hardiness of that one? I'm expecting Little Grey Pearl to be relatively winter wimpy, as most lavenders or greys would be, so she gets a protected spot.

Cynthia

• jerijen
    7 years ago

I don't know. But the parents are Midnight Blue X Pinstripe, if that helps. In a container, it should be possible to protect it???

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Paul's information, provided to the rose page on HMF is, LGP is susceptible to disease and "lacks vigor", so expect to coddle and protect it. The flower looks very much like a "grayer" Lavender Crystal.

• romogen
    7 years ago

I've had Dakota Redwing for a year now, it's vigorous, but seems to prefer cold weather to bring out the best flowers. The heat produces small brick red blooms with nary a violet cast.

7 years ago

Any pictures Romogen? I will be so interested to see mine bloom.

• romogen
    7 years ago

I'll post a shrub pic soon, but flower pictures will have to wait until the next flush, which takes awhile.... To conserve water I've been watering the pots every third day instead of every day, which cuts flower production for most roses but keeps the plant alive through the heat of high summer. The ones in the ground get watered deeply about once a week.

7 years ago

Great, Romogen - I didn't know anyone outside of Paul's circle of rosarians had Dakota Redwing yet. Of course, "cold" in your zone is something different from mine, but at least it has some resilience in cooler or part shade conditions that a lot of dark colored flowers prefer. The brick red is that terrific elusive color that is worth waiting for.

Kim & Jeri - thanks for the info on LGP. If Paul needs to coddle LGP in his zone 8, mine needs that much more TLC in mine. Still, I grew Lavender Crystal in less than ideal conditions for several years, so that's actually a hopeful comparison. Regardless, given my dismal record with anything potted, mine will surely be happier in the ground in a protected spot than anywhere that involves moving pots for protection. I'll give it the best shot I can though, and (hopefully) post success on hmf by another year later.

Cynthia

• roseseek
    7 years ago

I haven't tried LGP, Cynthia. Lavender Crystal presented no problems for me in Zone 9a mid desert, but if LGP lacks vigor for Paul, it isn't something I just HAVE to have, particularly with the cool, damp of this Zone 9a "near beach".

• jerijen
    7 years ago

No. Me, neither. One of the things I love about 'Carolyn Supinger' is that it is vigorous, a heavy bloomer, and disease-free. I thought I had it in a pot big enough to accommodate it permanently, but I've realized that it must go up again.

7 years ago

Well, Jeri - a disease free mini that's a heavy bloomer is indeed something to clamor for, and in a vivid color to boot. I'm presuming Carolyn S has better hardiness than LGP, and hopefully similar resistance to our strains of blackspot. Now if we can only get RV to sell her.

I know I don't really NEED LGP and she's a long shot in zone 5, but c'mon - she's both a lavender AND a grey. I do just HAVE to try her, she's a double oddball as far as colors go. Besides, all other things being consistent I find I can get away better with winter hardiness on minis than full sized roses, perhaps because it's not as far from the ground to regrow after a hard winter.

Cynthia

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

I am soooo tempted by LGP! I grow a number of Barden roses and love them all. I'm not in a position to pamper a grey rose at the moment, though. The RVR website does mention that LGP needs good culture like many other grey cultivars. I'm arguing with myself to be reasonable. My daughter just started kindergarten, it's time to spay the collie, I'm still caring for an elderly relative in TX, etc. However, there's always next spring.... Carol

7 years ago

Hmmm Carol, spay the collie or spray the roses? What a dilemma. Just don't get the processes mixed up - we do want our rose blooms to be fruitful and multiply (smile).

Seriously, there are only so many things that can claim our attention and with a Kindergartener plus the other responsibilities you mention LGP might be a bit too needy for now. "But I wannnnnnt one" - sound familiar to the parent of a kindergartener?

Cynthia

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Too funny, Cynthia! LOL!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

I just bought 4 LGP to go in each one of the potager garden beds that is almost complete on the massive backyard remodel we're doing. I will let you know later this year how LGPs like to be in a stone raised bed with a few winter veggies. I know it's hard to imagine because it's still in progress, but they will be in each one of these waist high raised beds. A tiered fountain is going in the middle of the potager. Perfect soil for about 4 feet. Soil bottom. Gopher wire at the bottom. Drip irrigation. They are definitely being coddled (as long as they don't mind a few winter veggies around the perimeter of the beds, like lettuce). I will update with photos once they arrive and start *hopefully* finding that vigor they are reported to lack.

• nikthegreek
    7 years ago

Wow! That's a big project..

7 years ago

It's a massive project. Started with a total demolition. The backyard was overgrown and delapidated. 2 thousand square feet of 60 year old cracked and raised concrete. 60 year old cracked pool. Removed over 20 nasty junipers that had grown to be trees instead of bushes. Leveled. Drainage. Then the hardscape install. Almost done!!!!!! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! I designed it myself and planned ahead to make gardening easier as I age since we don't ever plan on moving. The potager has waist high raised beds so I won't have to bend over to tend to them. I'm so excited for it to be done this week. Perfect timing with fall just barely starting in my area.

I will put the LGP in the potager and pinch the blooms for the first year. Totally well controlled environment. If it's going to find some vigor, this is where it will be. I will report back. :)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

In regard to the rose 'Carolyn Supinger': after nearly 7 years of waiting, it appears RVR has lost the plants of 'Carolyn Supinger' - apparently because propagation of it was outsourced to someone else who took the plants and never returned them. So there's no point now in asking RVR for updates on availability of that one - its been lost from their collection.

• jerijen
    6 years ago

PAUL!!! NOT LOST! I have it!

• User
    6 years ago

@Jeri: Yes, I realize that.... I simply meant its been lost from RVR's catalog and will not appear there. Thanks.

6 years ago

Oh no! I had asked RVR for CS and have not received it. I didn't know they lost it.

• User
    6 years ago

@Sheila: I have suspicions that it will eventually show up in commerce under a different name. :-(

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Too bad I didn't receive CS instead of my "Not Kim Rupert"! Whatever that turns out to be.

Ooooo! Marianne!!

Carol

6 years ago

Little Grey Pearl. I really like this unique little rose. It seems to like the dry heat in my yard. I have 4 in a potager with some veggies and they been a little neglected lately, but still seem pretty happy. That's bolted celery in the background.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, that LGP is gorgeous! Okay, it's on my short list now. My one pot pet indulgence. I like your combo of GP and golden foliage companion! Carol

• User
    6 years ago

How funny. There were three "gray" minis I sent RVR years ago and that was not the one chosen as the final selection for the name.

6 years ago

It's not the most robust rose, like Mr. Paul Barden has said, but it's very unique and it hasn't fried in high heat (100+F) so it earns a lot of points for that in my yard. It may need a little more coddling in cooler/rainier climates than it does in my yard.

6 years ago

Paul should I refer to it as a different name? It's your rose after all... I will call it whatever you would like :-)

• romogen
    6 years ago

Paul, did all three LGP have the same parentage? Otherwise, HMF needs to be updated....

• User
    6 years ago

@romogen: No need to change the HMF listing, as the two main candidates arose from the same cross..

@CoriAnn: Since its the only one that got named, you should call it by the name you acquired it as, since that name has now been made "official".

• jerijen
    6 years ago

Paul Barden Said: " I have suspicions that it will eventually show up in commerce under a different name. :-( "

Oh, man, that SUCKS!!!

• sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear about 'carolyn supinger'- especially for you Paul. I was waiting to buy it..

• nancylee2
    6 years ago

Yes, Jeri's post encouraged me to put CS on the wish list as well.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

The blooms of RVR's Little Grey Pearl unfold with such an amazing form and color combination, it makes me wonder what the originally agreed upon Little Grey Pearl looks like. Can a lavender rose blossom actually get any better than this?! Carol

6 years ago

I should show photos that depict its lack of vigor too. Great for dry heat, no crisping... but maybe not good for other areas. No new little canes yet. I really should be pinching off buds as instructed, I just got too busy.

One got some black spot and defoliated, which isn't a problem ever here so if you're in a black spot area it's probably not so good.

The others all have a little black spot too.

This one gets the most sun and heat... it's the happiest. All my broccoli and celery, lettuce and radishes bolted in that bed too. It's hot.

6 years ago

See... neglected, but still seems very happy.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Adorable Rose! I must get my stuff planted and stop looking at new prospects! Lisa