SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Other cooks changing your recipe :-/

colleenoz
7 years ago

I gave a friend my recipe for gluten free granola bars as her grandson was wanting some. She passed the recipe on to her DIL to make for the grandson.

Yesterday the friend asked me, "How much butter do you put in your granola bars?" I had just made a batch the day before so the recipe was pretty clear in my head.

"None. The only liquids in it are golden syrup and eggs."

"Oh, she didn't use eggs. I wondered, because they tasted kind of dry."

"Why didn't she use eggs? That's what's in the recipe. There's no butter."

"Oh, she didn't want to use eggs." (No, they're not vegan). "And she only baked them for 10 minutes at 400F. I told her they needed to be baked lower for longer but you have to be careful with her, she gets all snitty."

"Well yes, you bake them at 350F for 20 minutes. Clearly she isn't following my recipe, she's making up her own. It's just granola, dried fruit, golden syrup, eggs, GF flour and spice."

"Oh, she used maple syrup. And sugar. I thought they were a little too sweet. And how much self raising flour do you use?"

"It's not self raising flour, it's GF plain flour."

Face palm. I should note that DIL is not a very good cook, so she really shouldn't be playing around so radically with recipes, as she has no clue what she's doing.

Comments (32)