SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philvegas1

1st house + 1st Fall season = trouble

philvegas1
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

First-time home owner looking for some advice on a unique situation here in New England-Massachusetts has been hit with a severe drought this year and maintaining my first lawn has been daunting! So far, I've managed to hand remove just about all the dandelion, clover, crabgrass and chickweed by hand from this established lawn, and was deep watering right up until we were hit with a watering ban.

Now that fall has come, my neighbors are teaming up to rent a core aerator this weekend. I've already dethatched in preparation for this, and cut the lawn somewhat short (I've been leaving it long to stem off the drought).

My lawn is pretty thin and has some bare patches at this stage. I realize that after aeration, it's the perfect time for overseeding for the spring - my question is since I'm not allowed to water at all, am I just wasting money by overseeding now? There's not much rain in the forecast either, so there's little chance that Mother Nature is going to help! If seeding isn't a good idea, should I just fert and wait it out till spring? I plan to use milorganite as soon as I'm done with the aeration...

If I'm reading things right, I'm in zone 6a and the plot size is 1200sqft. Any help would be appreciated !

- Phil

Comments (10)