SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonnyalvarez35

Pressure canning sauce- need to acidify?

jonnyalvarez35
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there, I have an All American pressure canner and just made pasta sauce (with 150 pounds of tomatoes!) using this recipe from the Center for Food Preservation: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/spaghetti_sauce.html. The recipe does not call for acidification with lemon juice or citric acid, but I noticed afterwards that other different recipes on that same site DO call for acidification. Am I ok not having acidified this sauce? I processed it as instructed, which was hot pack method, 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure (240 degrees). Should I assume that the other recipes call for acidification because the processing times and temps are smaller, whereas with this recipe the higher temp and time will kill off any botulism spores?

Also I'll confess that I did a few things differently from the recipe instructions - first, after running all my tomatoes through a press, I left them in covered pots overnight uncooked, then started cooking them the next morning (so the strained tomato sauce was sitting at room temperature for about 9 hours)... And then I simmered the sauce for almost 2 full days! (It took a while for the sauce to cool down because it started out quite watery). Also, I added a few extra ingredients even though the recipe didn't call for them-- smallish quantities of shredded carrots, chopped fresh basil and fresh marjoram, red wine, bay leaves (removed at the end), and tomato paste, and all these were boiled and simmered thoroughly in the sauce. Also for the herbs (oregano/marjoram/basil) I used fresh instead of dried. Just wanted to make sure none of these factors were a problem in terms of food safety or anything else.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)