SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gator_9a

Pressure Canning Hot Sauces

gator_9a
11 years ago

I'm new to gardening, and, as a result, new to needing to preserve. My husband and I have been making hot sauce and keeping it in the fridge, but, we are still (in December!) harvesting about 60 habaneros a week, so we wanted to try canning it.

I was reluctant to post, given the firm admonishments I've seen, but here goes:

We found two hot sauce recipes we liked, and while people on websites said that they canned them for years using waterbath canning, we weren't confident they were acidic enough (one has 1 to 1.5 water to acid ratio, the other has all vinegar with no water added, but it also contains brown sugar, molasses and peaches in heavy syrup). We are aware of the importance of using an official recipe for waterbath canning. So, we pressure canned them (in 4 oz & 8 oz jars) for the longest pressure canning time recommended for any of the contained ingredients (the peppers and carrots: 35 mins at 10 lbs).

But, I'm still afraid of them.

It seems that if pressure canning carrots or peppers in water would be acceptable at that time/pressure, then it should acceptable to can them in a more acidic fluid at the same time/pressure. Is that wrong?

Comments (8)