SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrakie

Newbie question Re: Pressure Canning Spaghetti Sauce

Jrakie
10 years ago

I've been browsing this forum for days now and enjoying every minute of it. I'm not much of a gardener as I live in an apartment with a concrete patio. I do get some nice jalapenos though from a little potted plant!

At any rate, I am confused on some points regarding spaghetti sauce recipes and I was hoping someone could clarify it for me.

I currently make my own spaghetti sauce using commercially canned tomato sauce, diced and crushed tomatoes, finely minced onions, mushrooms, garlic, and dried parsley, dried Italian seasoning, and about a cup of wine. I simmer this for several hours because I strongly dislike sweet tasting spaghetti sauce and the very long cooktime breaks down that sweetness.

I usually freeze this recipe but I was hoping I could can it instead. I've been practicing with canning basic things like chicken stock and doing pretty good. I've not had any siphoning problems so far.

But I digress. Moving on...

All the recipes I am finding for spaghetti sauce call for a gazillion fresh tomatoes and other veggies and at least a half cup of sugar in them. I'm going off recipes from the Ball cookbook and the official canning site whose name is escaping my memory at the moment.

I know that substituting in canning is generally a no-no but is there really that critical a difference between tomatoes taken from a can and tomatoes that I chopped up in the kitchen? (besides taste, that is...) Can I safely use commercially canned tomato products in my to be canned sauce?

Can I safely omit the sugar and the extra veggies like peppers and celery but keep my onions and mushrooms? What about the wine?

Oil is a no-no too, I understand.

I use about two tablespoons at the beginning when I saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic and my recipe makes about 5 quarts so there would be very little residual oil in each pint of sauce. I can omit this step if necessary.

So given the general idea of my

Am I asking too many questions? Sorry for writing a novel here and thanks for reading!

Comments (9)