SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadalgas

Proper acidifying agent for canning tomatoes?

mamadalgas
15 years ago

I have several related questions. I have been canning tomatoes in a water bath, adding "Fruit Fresh" as an acidifying agent ( 1T. to ! quart) for several years. I process for 45 minutes. Am I taking a chance with this method? Also, this year I also canned ketchup in a water bath adding 1 - 3 cups of vinegar per 6 - 7 cups of sauce that included onions, garlic, and roasted peppers. I processed for 45 minutes as well. I also canned tomato sauce that included onions, garlic, roasted peppers, wine and salt in the recipe, and I added 1 t. ascorbic acid to the pints and processed in a hot water bath for 45 minutes. I called the local extension agency and their advice was that lemon juice or vinegar was the only appropriate acidifying agent, and that I would be taking a chance to use the canned products. I am willing to purchase a pressure canner and reprocess anything, but the time lapsed has already been about 5 days for the sauce, and longer for the canned tomatoes. Is there any way to save my work?? Thank you for all and any of your help and advice!!!!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida