SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Another 3 way switch problem

Jane
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Let's take this a step at a time. I am not an electrician.

I have a light in the middle of a stairwell. (It's actually the foyer landing of a bilevel house.)

The light is controlled by 3 switches: one at the top of the stairs, one at the bottom of the stairs, and one in the middle of the stairs. The top and bottom switches are actually in the same interior wall, while the middle switch is in an exterior wall.

They all worked before I replaced the switches a few years ago. I tried to install the new ones the same way as the old ones, but there were some differences, so I guessed, then when they didn't work, I tried swapping a few things. Now they don't work properly.

I use the top and bottom switches interchangeably and that seems fine. When I start to use the middle switch, the other switches stop working sometimes. I have not isolated the specific behaviors yet.

I'm not sure I bought the right switches. Can anyone tell me what switches I should have and how I can check to make sure they are correct? For example, should I have two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch? If so, where should the 4-way switch be installed?

Can I look at the wires coming out of the walls at each switch and figure out the flow? (Not sure what I am asking here.)

Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)