SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fly4cap

Fescue sod rescue in hot weather

fly4cap
7 years ago

After some retaining walls and backfilling, and installing irrigation, I put down tall fescue sod in late May. It did beautifully for the first 3-4 weeks but over the last 10 days it just seems to be cratering. I revised the watering schedule to less frequent, deeper watering after about 2 weeks. Last weekend I discovered that most of the sod has yet to root into the fill soil (sandy loam topsoil). At this point I'm afraid I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I water ofyen enough to keep the root zone wet the roots won't grow into the deeper soil and the sod will die. If I water more deeply, less frequently, the root zone will dry out and the sod will die. I'd say I've lost about 25% in the past 10 days, evenly distributed in the form of dramatic thinning. We are in our very hot season and cam expect highs in the upper 90s for another 8-10 weeks with essentially no rain. The sodded area is moderate to deep shade, with about 1/3 receiving a few hours of travelling midday sun.

Do I water shallow and often, to keep as much of it alove as possible until cooler weather brings another round of root growth, or do I stick with deep and infrequent and accept attrition?

Comments (11)