SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themikeathon

My tamarind tree isn't growing in the middle section, what's going on?

Michael Keef
7 years ago

Hey everybody! So, I acquired a 2 year old tamarind tree this past summer (summer of 2015) for $7. Great guy, get all kinds of tropicals from him super cheap. Anyways, winter came, and I live in south Texas, so I brought my tamarind into my garage, and brought it out whenever it was over 50 degrees outside. Well, my tree lost most of its' leaves but kept some also. Spring came around so I set it outside. It's doing great! But only at the bottom. It has grown good, strong branches with many more branching off from those branches at the bottom. Also, it has grown new leaves at the top and is growing taller. However, here is the tricky part, It has not grown ANYTHING in the middle. No branches, leaves, anything. In fact, the diameter of the trunk at the top and bottom has even gotten a little bigger but not in the middle. I've done my studying and tried the recommended fertilization, watering, it shows good growth in direct Sun. But I can't figure out what to do. I'm thinking about just cutting off where the growth stops right above where the branches are at the bottom. But I read an article where someone did the same and it almost killed their tree. What can I do and what's going on? Thank you all so much for your help.

Comments (9)