SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjintheozarks

Old soil that isn't very good

pjintheozarks
16 years ago

My garden has been fallow since Fall 06. My little girl and I are working our butts off trying to restore it to its former beauty. It's a deep-bed (24"-36") cinderblock garden (and other things) and the middle is a big area of landscaper blackmat with wood chip mulch.

Except the wood chip mulch has had a few years now, and the leaves have been present for over a year now, and now the mat is basically covered with actual soil from it composting in place. Meanwhile, the beds are utterly stuffed with weeds. Not little ones.

My thought is to dig the top however-many-inches totally out of the beds (which were simply topsoil with mushroom compost, a couple years ago) and put them in the compost, because a) I don't think the soil is very good anyway, and b) I can't possibly get all those weeds out, it's a mat now. I am figuring on collecting all the leaves and dirt I can from the central mat and putting that in the compost bin too. Eventually rinsing it down to get it totally clean, then adding brand new mulch.

My problem is, I'm suddenly a little confused about the greens browns issue. This weekend the kid and I literally filled 3, 4'x4'x4' compost bins, and this is stuffed down as much as we could, with decaying leaves we raked out of the garden area. Now I'm getting ready to start shoveling out the topsoil with its megaweeds from the beds and trellis tubs.

1. Weeds are brown because they're dead, right?

2. Will adding soil to my compost bins interfere with the temp or composting?

3. So right now, the reality is that I don't really have any greens at all, right? Short of adding the composting I keep accidentally doing in the fridge veggie drawer, I don't really have any greens.

4. Until such time as my grass is growing 5" a week in spring monsoons (heh), is there anything I can use in place of the greens, to get some of this stuff composting?

There's so much, and so much soil/weeds coming on top of all the leaves we already have, I worry that the soil will just mash down a bunch of browns and result in 3 big bins of dirt-pile that does nothing at all.

Comments (11)