SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_talmadge

Need help deciding how much of this stained wood to paint

Linda T.
7 years ago

We bought this house in 1992 when it was five years old. Since then I've updated practically every other room in the house aside from the family room and adjacent sun room. The stained trim hasn't bothered me much, until now. I love going into bright, cheery white-trimmed homes, and recognize that my family room feels dark and confined by comparison. I want to lighten things up a bit, but without getting rid of all the stained wood, which gives a sense of warmth.

The family room has stained baseboard, crown molding, door trim, chair rail, and paneling below the chair rail...all of which I'd be fine with painting.

I'm seeking input on how far to go with the fireplace and the shelves flanking it. We are moving the television above the fireplace (another trend I've previously resisted), so the whole look needs to be somewhat updated accordingly. I would love to retain some of the stained wood, but not necessarily all of it.

We'll decide about the brick after we settle on a plan for painting the wood.

In the adjacent sun room, I am wary of painting window trim, as the stained look complements the view of our woodlands backyard. I'd consider painting the baseboard white to match the family room, though. Thoughts?

Lastly, what should I do with the french doors between the two rooms. Should they match to the finish on the sun room windows? Someone suggested I remove them altogether. Ouch.....it seems like a loss of a major architectural feature.

Please no comments on the clutter, light fixtures or furniture....we're working on those elements, too!

Thanks for taking the time to review

Comments (12)