SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Gasp! I have "Old Lady" Rooms!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It hit me when I posted on the "Show me your living rooms" thread. I had the busiest, most patterned rooms of anyone, and the antique secretary in the living room and antique tall English secretary filled with an antique Limoges fish set don't help. Then of course there's the Chinese porcelain cluttering up the place even more. Where to start to fix this? I'd like to sell the fish set but that was quite expensive and I don't know if I can get even a fraction of what it's worth. Still, I'll give it a try. My other thought was the hand-tied Oriental rug in the dining room also gives off the wrong vibe. We won't even talk about the chairs because I can't replace them right now. Does anyone agree with that assessment? I thought it would help if I put a modern rug there, not something wild and crazy, but with a fresh look . The current rug is 8 x 11 and I think that's a good size. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome. By the way, I mean no offense by calling my decor "old lady", mainly because some self-professed older ladies here have much more contemporary, exciting and young-looking rooms than I do!

Comments (73)

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I want to add that your home has a collected look, Ingrid. That's not something one pulls off overnight, and it certainly can't be done by shopping the big box stores and putting rooms together quickly. It's something I'm actually having a bit of trouble with in my own home, as I want that collected look but don't have the patience to wait for it. A room that hasn't "waited for it" is always apparent in that it lacks that certain something that your rooms (especially the one in this photo) possess. I might even go so far as to call that collected look "decorative soul."

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked IdaClaire
  • olychick
    7 years ago

What? Your room does not qualify in my mind as "old lady" at all. It's so pretty and warm, traditional and comfy. So nice to see authentic, collected pieces of decor rather than ubiquitous krap from...well, I don't want to insult anyone. I love the rug, love the healthy ficus right where it is. Can't fully see the light fixture, but if you want a change, maybe something less fussy? But I wouldn't.

But then, I'm an old lady :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked olychick
  • Related Discussions

***GASP** I watched my hoya open!!

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Valerie, Hoyas can take awhile to bloom. I see compacta and possibly carnosa...what's the one in the white pot? Looks like mindorensis? Anyway, carnosa and compacta can take quite a while to bloom. Do you have east facing windows? Your hoyas might do better in that direction rather than west. Other than that, just patience! The only one that seems that it may do better in a smaller pot is the compacta...that pot looks a little big for it. But if you don't want to repot, no big deal. I would just keep taking good care of them...they will eventually bloom if they are happy! If you want a quick bloomer, try lacunosa. You can find that at most Home Depot's or Lowes. By the way, you're not doing anything "wrong"....my carnosa (first hoya I ever bought) still hasn't bloomed, and it's about 4 or 5 years old. It's growing like crazy, but no blooms. You're plants are gorgeous by the way. Good luck! Gabi
    ...See More

Update my old lady look to COOL..

Q

Comments (19)
    Thank you Marti8a. I recovered the sofas and removed the ruffled skirt and added bun feet. I do not have a before pic. of sofa but it was very country and 80's sea foam green and pink and coordinated with the flowered drapes and cornice. The space is small for today's standards and the newer sofas were so big. I would love to put hardwood in here also. We put it in the kitchen and FR. Here is another before and after pic. Alerit, I agree with patricia43 about classic good bones. Yes I love some of the newer DR sets out there and would love a new set but I think Queen Anne is easy to work with. I think recovering the seats would make a big difference. I would love to replace my armchairs on the end with an upholstered parsons chair. These were the old drapes I had made to match old sofa sorry I don't have a pic of old sofa.
    ...See More

Define *Old Lady* decorating

Q

Comments (142)
    I know I'm a tad late chiming in, but feel impelled to add my thoughts. I do totally understand the viewpoints that tend to paint OLD with negative brushstrokes. That being said, I find I am more and more bothered by comments, both on GW and in the outside world, that have a condescending air in reference to any decorating style that predates whatever the commenter considers "modern and up-to-date." I would love to be a fly on the wall in their houses in 30 years and watch their expressions when a younger person sniffs at their "yucky so out-of-touch with Current Style" decor. To me there is nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with items and colors and patterns you love, whether they were acquired 50 years ago or yesterday. I personally like what I liked 40 years ago, plus things I have found along the path to today. I think it is important to keep my home uncluttered, clean and scented with flowers and fresh air (and definitely not oriented to electronic media!) But whether others consider my style awful because it isn't oiled bronze square light fixtures and whatever the current fashion in hard surfaces is, does not bother me one iota.
    ...See More

Old ladies

Q

Comments (70)
    I think we all sometimes read meaning or insult where it is not intended, or at least that is my take blfenton. Littlebug's comments are unnervingly identical to my own thoughts about my life at 58 YO, and how I view women who to my eyes have the luxury of time. I think what she was trying to convey is the sense that at some point the strictures and time demands of employment become more burdensome than the rewards. As Bill Clinton said once in a talk I attended, when you have more yesterdays than tomorrows you start to think more deeply about how you want to spend those tomorrows. I also look with yearning at women who do not have to get up every day and be somewhere for X hours, who can decide what they want to do, or take the time to do what they need to do without squeezing it around 40-or more-working hours. And I do think women experience this more. I personally would never, ever say that a SAH mother of babies, preschoolers or toddlers isn't incredibly busy or stressed during those days at home. But I will probably irk some folks here by saying that, to my eyes at least, once kids are launched, living a SAH life seems a lot more relaxed in general...in fact what else is retirement but living a SAH life?! Obviously people have many burdens and duties that may not be clearly visible. I know we all do ourselves as women a disservice to play that game of who's got it worse/who's got it better. It's only human nature to compare and judge and if this topic shows anything, it shows what a terrifically wide range of life experiences and personalities exist. You can be vital and engaged without having worked a day of your life for pay. You can be vital and engaged and be working while raising children. You can be any combination of those lives, or an entirely different life :). What is so useful for me is reading these stories and experiences. It opens my eyes and my heart to other ways of having a happy and productive life, especially as I get older and face inevitable changes of how my life will unfold. This conversation gives great guidance on how others seek to find connection and engagement, which is in the end for most of us the way we find our happiness.
    ...See More
  • Wild Haired Mavens
    7 years ago

The fish set is fabulous.

My ex sold my collection of mieson monkeys and I've never found them in the condition of mine since. All I ever find are horses, tons of people but no more monkeys. Of course I can't afford mieson right now.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Wild Haired Mavens
  • Meris
    7 years ago

I was so glad when I opened this up and saw what I wanted to write on all of the comments. Beautiful room, keep it, unless you don't feel it's you. You don't need to change a thing.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Meris
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm completely overwhelmed by your comments. Your positive and wonderful comments were not what I expected, but are so appreciated. I spent a good three hours last night looking for a different rug, and so far only one person has suggested I might want to change it. I've tried taking the plant out, and the poor ficus is not doing well anyway, but to my eyes the room looked terribly bare. That may just be a different look that I need to get used to. It is true that my main love is English country house, but I also really admire the cleaner, more modern look that many of you have which still looks warm and classy. On the other hand, I may just have to admire it in your homes! I agree that the soup tureen, which is reproduction, may have to go.

The next area that is beginning to scream old lady is my front room. My thought is that replacing the flowery love seat with a solid colored one would help the situation considerably. I wouldn't mind replacing the rug but I can't bring myself to waste money like that. I'm not wedded to the Limoges fish set any more and will see what I can do about selling it. I would rather see books there and fewer plates on the wall. I'm posting pictures of that room as well. The walls, in case you can't tell, are painted a soft green. Thank you in advance for further comments and advice. I did a little decluttering in the front room as you'll see. I hope you approve.

View from further away as requested

Trying different centerpieces

Looking bare without ficus. Lump on floor is Lacey the cat.

Some decluttering attempts - before and after versions

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Ingrid, Ingrid, Ingrid it's not for us to approve. It's for you to approve!

Go with what makes you feel good about your house, whatever that may be!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked rococogurl
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Have you seen movies about Sherlock Holmes? They didn't have Pottery Barn, and the rooms were cozier and better for that:) I have the whole huge book called "English Eccentric"..well yours is not as eccentric and idiosyncratic as interiors there, but I agree there is something very English about it..and they really knew what they were doing, and judging by some house tours on AT-they still know:)

I love your rug, your red walls, your mismatched chairs, your chandelier (even though I see just a tiny bit of it on the picture), your tree..it's comforting, it's inviting, it signals five o'clock tea:) It can be an old lady-but it can be Alice in Wonderland too:)

If it'd be me..I'd mess it a bit of course. I'd make the arrangement on little hutch less symmetrical. I'd bring something bigger or funkier or more textured as the centerpiece in the middle of the table. I'd have fun with it. But I wouldn't do the room into something that it's not. It seems pretty happy to me as it is. Maybe it wants to play with you-but it doesn't want to become a different room. That's not the vibe I'm getting from it, at all.

I don't live in your place so how should I know. But from looking at the pics..this room has a good feel about itself:)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked aprilneverends
  • Elizabeth Z
    7 years ago

Love your room!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Elizabeth Z
  • IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Since Pottery Barn has been mentioned, I searched for images of rooms pictured in its advertising and one thing really struck me: Without fail, the rooms have some very interesting architectural elements. Old brick walls, soaring beamed ceilings, tall and imposing windows. Without those elements, however, the furnishings would be merely (to quote my young nephew) "meh." Nothing special about PB at all, particularly when taken out of those architecturally rich rooms the stuff is photographed in.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

(Also just want to say to aprilneverends ends that I really like the evocative way you write. It's a joy to read. :-))

Original Author
    7 years ago

While I was taking and posting pictures I received move moving, incredible responses. I really love you all! Linda, you made me laugh. Gosh, should I follow that advice? Turquoise, I was so affected by what you said, you just can't know. Truly, the validation you've all given me is priceless because I can tell how sincere and heartfelt it is. I think I'm finally absorbing the message that I should be myself, and can admire greatly what you're all doing without worrying that I should do the same thing. Everyone does evolve, and I bought the abstract watercolor in the living room long before I came back on this forum. Strictly traditional rooms, unless they're done with great taste and individuality (and I've seen some here) can be boring and soulless. The rooms I've seen on the living room thread are so great because each is imbued with the personality of the owner. You've all given me the confidence to "own" my style and not constantly question it. It is priceless.

Original Author
    7 years ago

And more responses as I was writing mine! No less wonderful, every one of them. aprilneverends, could you please come over and mess up my rooms a little bit? I'd love to see what you'd put on the table. Turquoise, you are so, so right about Pottery Barn. I've read about how they scout out locations that will set off their furniture, and, yes, it's always architecturally very strong and interesting. You have a house like that and its beauty, for instance the ceiling of your living room, demands strong and bold decoration, which you've pulled off to the max. Pottery Barn has to work a little harder at it. However, it's not so much the individual pieces, even from PB, than make or break a room, but rather the personality of the owner which dictates how everything is put together, and that's what makes rooms decorated by the owner so fascinating. Professional help can be great as long as long as it's the owner's unique persona that's expressed.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

The ficus - if it isn't looking that great and if you're not completely committed to it - why not try replanting it into a bigger, more interesting pot but leave it in the same place if you do that. Ficus don't like to have too many shocks to their system at one time.

I liked the two pots that you had on either side of the hutch in the front room. I like that room as well but I do see what you mean about the couch. That doesn't say old lady but it definitely does say 80's. I don't think I would do plain fabric though. You may not realize it or see it but you seem to have a natural eye for mixing patterns. I probably wouldn't do a floral on the couch but a pattern (stripe, or tone on tone) would still work. If you go that route you'll know it when you see it.

Can I suggest that you stay away from Pier 1? please?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked blfenton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, the poor thing does look top-heavy and has been going downhill. A bigger pot is a good idea.

Interesting that you would suggest a pattern for the love seat. I had thought solid because there is so much pattern with the porcelain already that a solid might be restful. Tone on tone is an interesting idea, though. The budget will not allow for that to happen now, with property taxes and house and car insurance all due at the same time, so I'll have plenty of time to ponder. I've also bought new bedding so that will be the next project. I promise to stay away from Pier 1, lol. I'm not sure I've ever bought anything there!

• User
    7 years ago

Asking for opinions on general improvements is like opening a can of worms.....think of all the angst, time and expense related to all the changes you made to your living room, when most of us agreed that the initial pictures looked wonderful as is.

When you ask a question here you may get 1500 different answers. Some will be helpful, others will not, but even the helpful answers may not result in a change that is a significant improvement.

My husband always says that when you walk into a barbershop you'll get a haircut. When you go to the doctor you'll get a diagnosis. When you go to a car dealership, chances are you'll come home with a car............be careful what you ask here unless you plan to go down the rabbit hole again! :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

Your ficus is fine....that's their nature, they droop. Give a short shot of plant food and a little extra water>
    One of my pet peeves is people who say a room is "dated". if we tossed out everything that was dated there would be no antiques to be had.
    That's how you get the accumulated look....by saving and mixing and matching and ignoring what's in and out. Don';t you know red diningroom walls are so last decade....in between has been heliotrope blue and I think now it's gray...maybe. My rugs and china does well with rosy colors....so I am dealing with last century dusty rose and mauve!!
    I hope you realize my post was tongue in cheek....I like the cluttered victorian with the arts and crafts combined with the ficus that has outgrown it's artful niche but is happy by the window.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lindac92
  • Fori
    7 years ago

You can old ladyize my place any time, Ingrid. Bring your fish plates!

So, you have all these lovely items out in the open, just sitting around looking like they belong. And a CAT lives there?????? A real cat? Do you have earthquake putty on everything? or on the cat?

(If the ficus isn't happy, the houseplant forum is worth a visit.)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Fori
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

Your home is very tastefully decorated! What more could a person ask for!? Of course it's not trendy and it doesn't look like you bought new furniture last week...maybe a teen wouldn't care for it...who cares! It's LOVELY!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ksw12, I have to admit you do have a point. I was one confused puppy trying to cope with all the varied responses re the living room. I've decluttered a little bit and will get a new love seat when the budget permits, but I think I'm okay with that room for now. Fori, you're so cute. I do think the ficus needs a bigger pot; it's been years. As for dated, to some extent you do have to stick with what you really like and what fits everything else in the room. Of course, since your colors are from the last century I'm sure they're in again! You've all given me some much-needed confidence in my style, and of course there is also that pesky reality of not everyone having equal amounts of money. I have a feeling this forum is slanted more heavily toward posters with above-average incomes and, while I love to see what they've done with various areas of their homes, their situation is not mine. And that's okay too; it makes decorating more of a challenge, and I rather like that. As for earthquakes, we're nowhere near a large fault and at the most, feel a bit of a shake but nothing moves. As for kitty, she is older and has never touched a thing. It helps that she's a Maine Coon and not a Siamese or a Bengal. Whole other ballgame with them.

arkansas girl, I just now saw your post, and thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. No teens here so I guess that means I'm okay!

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

I think the more important thing is how you feel about your room. I love your things. I think that the most important thing is to fill your house with things that you love having around you. Lately, my hobby has been to go antiquing. I'm not an old lady, but it took me along time to realize that a lot of "old,vintage" items are made so much better, with quality workmanship that isn't available for most of us now. I would much rather have that than some item of furniture, knickknack, that is going to fall about in a few moms because it is made so poorly. I personally think that Limoges is beautiful and would love to have that...would never sell it. It's highly collectible. It sounds to me like you are looking for a change in your room. I think that painting it a lighter, brighter color might make you feel better about it. I would do that before I did anything drastic like get rid of things that I've had forever. I've done that and regretted it later. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked K Sissy
  • JennaVaNowSC
    7 years ago

Ingrid, your home is lovely! i admire your talent for putting things together,. Your home should be about You, and your loved ones that share it with you , not some generic magazine layout shot.

I don't see anything I would change. But, re the love seat. It looks fine ...but, for a quick temporary change, perhaps a slipcover until you are ready to get something for different. I had one in the past that was a cream, tone on tone stripe. Just a thought.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked JennaVaNowSC
  • patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Ingrid, re: traditional style being seen as boring, and to some it could if it's what I call the *pure* version of traditional. A houseful of Queen Anne cherry furniture, Oriental rugs, damask furniture or window treatments w/tasseled valences, etc., would be considered.close to being pure~ been there done that. After many years, I decided I liked English country with lots of pattern, especially floral, the ever popular layered look, as well as collections used thruout the home. Imo, it represents the cozier version of traditional. I'm still a traditionalist, but with a bit of a country French flare, since I still have an affinity for furniture with curved lines, ornate frames, parquet table tops, pastoral art scenes, topiaries, or anything that can make my heart say, ooh la la! lol Just my opinon when saying English and French fall into the category of traditional, so maybe it's a new version, eclectic traditional.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patty Vinson
  • Kathie738 P
    7 years ago

Don't change a hair for me, not if you care for me...now I'm really showing my OL...your style is timeless and very pleasing.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kathie738 P
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

Your colors and style are different from mine, but I like traditional things. The two things that bothered me most in your original photo were (1) the ficus needs to be pruned and scooted over toward the sliding patio door rather than partially blocking the window and table, and (2) the chairs look tired. That doesn't mean the chairs should be painted or replaced. It means the one with the throw pillow needs a little touch up work and possibly a new seat cover (looks like it may be faded, but it could definitely tie in better with the needlepoint) and the chair closest to the camera in that first photo has a broken or worn out seat.

If the needlepoint is in good shape, the seat just needs to be repaired so it supports a person properly and protects the needlework for greater damage when sagging. My grandmother did the needlepoint on a set of dining room chairs. When she passed, my mother and I removed the needlepoint covers because at least two of them were damaged beyond repair. My mom put one of the best ones on an old horesehair seat chair that she had restored. I was the only one who wanted that chair when both my parents had passed, but I love it. I also found one or two other covers my mom kept and I am not going to get rid of them. So don't get rid of the chairs if you like them, just give them a little TLC.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lascatx
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

That's a great, finished room. I don't know why you would want to change it to give it some imaginary fresh quality of the times (made in China). What difference does it make if someone else considers it old fashioned decor if you like it (and I think you do)? Do you think it will somehow make you feel younger? Don't follow the masses. Not a good plan!

Honestly, I think if you start looking for more modern rugs etc. it will look forced and lose its natural appeal and flow. It will look exactly like what you are trying to do - attempting to be more modern or hip or something. Now if you are truly tired of the room, never liked it or need a change, that's another story. Redo it until it pleases you. But, please, not to fit other people's taste preferences! Be true to yourself.

I would work on the front room and slipcover the loveseat. That room does not appear 'together' like your dining room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vertise
  • jakkom
    7 years ago

I
    personally prefer contemporary design. But I see nothing at all wrong with your
    DR. I'd do a different centerpiece, but that's me.

I
    love traditional Oriental rugs although most of ours are Chinese or Tibetan
    patterns. Orientals go well with EVERY decor, I think. They are especially
    beautiful with naturals, like wood or leather.

The
    biggest issue I see with your front room is that it has no focus. The most
    satisfying decorating balance comes from having one group be the visual star.
    You don't have that. The eye is going everywhere but every wall has a primary
    weight and they're all competing for attention.

The
    traffic pattern in the room is awkward with the four doorways, so that
    complicates your objects placement.

First,
    take down all your pictures (temporarily). Then, I would switch your loveseat, 3-shelf
    display case, and hutch.

Loveseat
    moves to hutch wall: Make what is now the hutch area, into what would feel like
    a more complete seating space. A small-scaled, narrow-oval coffee table,
    nothing too heavy-looking on the base but not too thin either (it should look
    in balance with the loveseat), in front of it. Now you have an area that is out of the way of traffic and feels comfy, not so exposed.

Hutch:
    Move it to the display case wall. It has a nice heft that will balance the
    (new) sofa side. The display case is nice but it is just too small where it is.
    The umbrella stand is fine in the corner, it has good weightiness without
    feeling "heavy".

Display
    case: Turn the (former) loveseat wall into a comprehensive, well-balanced
    display wall for your many beautiful plates and vases. Right now it's very hard
    to admire their beauty because they're scattered all over. Remove the oval drum
    table; leave that wall for picture display only. It's beautiful, but another
    visual distraction.

A
    collection of objets d'art is better seen together than scattered apart, as you
    have them now. I look at your photos and my eye is going up, down, right, left;
    with too many things to look at and no way to admire them as a group.

The
    display case would receive more frontal light if moved here, too. Nice display
    shelves, balanced visually on either side, going up the wall, aren't that
    expensive to put up. No less than 2 shelves, no more than 3.

Depending
    on the pictures you want back in the room, the case & shelves could be
    arranged in various ways. The important design idea is that visually, (1)
    everything has a common theme so belongs together, and (2) there is enough to
    balance the expanse of the wall without overwhelming it. You don't want the eye
    to get confused again. Edit your collection and rotate items in/out, if
    necessary.

So your new display wall would be something like this arrangement:

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jakkom
  • nini804
    7 years ago

I like your stuff! Really, the only thing I might try in the dining room is to move the poor dear ficus to another locale and try the sideboard under that high window. That window is a little awkward to my eye without a piece of furniture under it. Just try it...it may not work, but worth a try.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nini804
  • lovemrmewey
    7 years ago

Your rooms denote an interesting, thought filled life, well-lived. I would change nothing if you are pleased and these things are as dear to you as I believe they must be!

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm too tired now after moving the dining table and chairs, sweeping and washing the floor under the rug, vacuuming the rug thoroughly on both sides, and haven't even put everything back yet. I just want you all to know how much I appreciate the support and the advice. jakkom, I truly appreciate your thoughts about the front room. That room has never worked for me, and all the doorways are definitely a problem. I'm more than willing to move things around to achieve a better effect.

The ficus is a sick baby; it may just have to go. I can move the display cabinet under the window and see how that works. The only possible problem might be that it will interfere with the dining chair. We'll see. None of the chairs are broken; the one closest to the camera just has a very saggy seat. The one in the back is an ugly thing but has great personal meaning for me, which is not to say it can't be improved. Two problems for me are that I'm not at all handy, couldn't recover a chair if my life depended on it, and that I have fibromyalgia, with really limited energy. Most of what I described above my husband did, and I had to keep stopping and resting after every few minutes of exertion. Not asking for pity at all, just saying that what for many of you would be a minor task is something very different for me.

For anyone interested in my Limoges set, please let me know. Sissy, I bought this fish set because it was the most beautiful to me of the many I've seen on e-bay, and I loved the colors and had to have it. However, my true and lasting love is Chinese porcelain, which is what I know and have studied and feel a special affinity for. European porcelain of many types can be stunning, and my love of porcelain began with 18th century Meissen. It would be difficult to let any of my Chinese pieces go but I don't feel the same way about the Limoges.

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Wow jakkom, that's quite an entrance. Are your speaking as an interior designer/decorator or are you an expert in your own right? Giving an opinion is much different than being bossy and pushy, which is how I interpreted your post. Consideration of ones' feeling in real life or on forums is always appreciated. Phrasing words in a more positive way such as, you might want to try, have you thought of editing, do you need that table there, or even, in my opinion, sound a little more polite to the ears as well as the emotions. Please reference for the future.

• starnold
    7 years ago

Ingrid your English colonial decor, which takes a life time of thoughtful collecting to do well, is lovely; your dining room captures that look quite nicely. But it's great that you want to see your space in a fresh way, are flexible enough to rethink some choices and willing let go of a few things to make that happen. We've moved 5 times in the last 15 years and the last 2 times I've liked the space better before too much got unpacked so now I'm editing as much as possible, but It's challenging to let go of things I once thought were important!

I thought Jakkom gave some well thought out design advice that might very well give you the fresh look you are seeking without a lot of sacrifices or added expense.

BTW I just liquidated my mothers collection of Meissen, Sevres and RS Prussia porcelain through Clars Auction House in the bay area.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked starnold
  • decormyhomepls
    7 years ago

You've gotten quite a lot of opinions, haven't you??!! I think the general theme is that if YOU love your home and decor than why would you change it to please what others think is more in vogue? I admit that I, too, like to change and keep things fresh. I look around and realize that a bit of my things look dated, frumpy. Those things that I am tiring of I will certainly change. But, some I love and I will not. Changing our styles a little here and there (tweaking) is normal. But, please don't change it because others deem it stuffy or "old lady" or not in style. Change it because YOU feel that way.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked decormyhomepls
  • H B
    7 years ago

I really loved the "show me your living room" thread. and was too embarrassed to add a photo of mine, it is bare and so different than all the beautiful rooms pictured. But then I realized it works for us, we love it -- and that is my thought to share with Ingrid -- if you enjoy being in your own spaces, then they look just right.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked H B
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

As for the front room-I like the idea of putting collections closer together, a lot..more impact, more balance. I don't see it as changing either..it's more about going in the same direction with more confidence.

But it's a lot of work for sure..I understand how the effort that might seem minor can be actually really tiresome. I'd for sure need a lot of help to undertake something like this. I'd be the one sitting pretty and giving instructions..:) And in the end I'd still be more tired as the person who actually moved the things around.

I totally love this big hutch. Love! Pity it's not even bigger lol. I don't know though whether I'd switch it with the loveseat..the loveseat is probably where it is to take advantage of the view? or am I mistaken?

Anyway. Your home is interesting, Ingrid. That's probably why we're so into this thread. It's full of character. I can feel it through the screen. It's palpable how alive it is..

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm very happy to receive suggestions and value the thought that has been put into devising better arrangements. It did come to me later that I can't move the dispay cabinet or the ficus in the living room because that window and French door are in constant use for ventilation and fresh air. I should have known there was a practical reason why we did it a certain way. The love seat does face toward a hill where we have a view of a hillside populated with squirrels and bunnies, some of which have names and are quite tame; one of the squirrels we hand-raised. My husband said this morning that he prefers for it to stay there. I'm still giving this room quite a bit of thought, though.

Again, I so appreciat the positive, uplifting comments. To be honest, I don't see anything exceptional about my decor, a lot of it made up of old bits and pieces of no great worth that I've tried (not always successfully) to make presentable. Rightly or wrongly I sank most of my money into porcelain, of which almost no one who visits has much interest or appreciation. Fortunately my husband supported me completely because he saw that for me it was an intellectually and emotionally very exciting and fulfilling experience.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Ok..squirrels and bunnies win every day if you ask me:)

As for the porcelain..the beauty in collections is that they are yours and highly personal to you. If somebody collects coins and stamps-nobody sees it at all. So what. I collect netsuke..they are tiny and few, because they can get really expensive..I get a new one maybe once a year, maybe less often than that. But I find them incredibly beautiful, a work of art; and each one reminds me of the time I got it, and signifies something for me.

Yes..sometimes it's hard to understand placements and arrangements until you live in the house. when we started living in our current home, I was at first: why they put curtain rods like this? why they did this or that? Then after some time spent in the place you realize why:)

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Clicking on his/her name, it stated there was no recent activity so did not search any further. The name/moniker wasn't familiar to me, so thought 'whoever' was not a frequent poster, but realy makes no difference. Neverless, imo the post came across as very bossy and somewhat rude. Commenting so late in the thread it was obvious, at least to me, jakkom did not read the above posts, or would have known not everyone can move furniture around as if it were a feather. If the post would have been worded a bit more 'genteel' it would not have come off as bossy. If it did not offend Ingrid, so be it.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I love your oriental rug but why not roll it up for the summer and buy a sea grass rug to use till Dallas. Then, reverse the process. They did that in the south for decades! Also, what about removing the crystal drops from the chandelier? That will give it a new look - keep them - you may want them again! Try moving the ficus tree outside for the summer - it will help revive it.

I adore fine porcelain! Do you use your fish set? If you don't, start using it!

Just remember - beautiful stately homes in England are used by the young still. They are not influenced by Pottery Barn or HGTV!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anglophilia
  • Rhonda Satterfield
    7 years ago

Hi Ingrid,

I have to say that I didn't thoroughly read all the responses, but when I reread your original post, I was wondering whether you wanted to make changes to your room because you wanted to or because you thought you should. Don't feel pressure to change your rooms because they don't look like everyone else's rooms. That's what makes your spaces great!! Honestly, when I saw your pictures, my thought was that a home like that is the kind where I want to sit down and visit and look at all the pieces because they tell a story. Very welcoming!!! The only thing I would remove is the ficus, but that's just me. It would make me feel claustrophobic and I liked the pic when you had removed it. Good luck. Seems like you have the knack for making a lovely space. :)

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Ingrid, the sagging seat is something that can be fixed, but I'm not sure it is something I would do myself without seeing or knowing more about the construction of the chair. It is something I would look into getting done if you want to keep they chair long term. The sagging means it doesn't support a person like it should and can lead to premature breakdown of the canvas under the stiches (less likely the wool if the stiches themselves) and added stress on the frame of the chair. The other chair looks like the main thing it needs is some Old English Scratch Cover or Howard Restor-a-finish wiped on -- nothing more tan maybe a little rubbing, where the finish is worn. Not crises -- just things you can do to maintain and prolong the life of the pieces you care about.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Patty, thank you, that is very kind of you to look out for me. I also did not recognize that name.

Suzanne, I like both of your ideas! I've begun to take the drops off the chandelier but am working so couldn't finish. I may leave some of the smaller ones on for a bit of bling, but I already like the difference. I hadn't thought of a sea grass rug but did find an indoor/outdoor rug that I liked. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I don't know if I'm constitutionally capable of having a rug without any pattern, but I'll look into the sea grass rugs.

april, I share your love of netsuke; they are captivating works of art. Since you collect them you understand that feeling of excitement of owning something beautiful and old that speaks of another culture.

• olychick
    7 years ago

Could someone clue me in as to what this means? Is it a southern expression?

"buy a sea grass rug to use till Dallas"

Original Author
    7 years ago

I just assumed it was a typo, lol. By the way, I've just bought a summer rug but could not make myself by a plain seagrass one; it's just not me. It has a light background with large rust and yellow flowers and some green leaves. I'll post it when it arrives.

• olychick
    7 years ago

Hmm, I thought of a typo, but couldn't imagine what it was supposed to be either.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I took 20 large crystals off the chandelier. I like the way it looks now!

Some minor changes in the front room, but I think it looks somewhat better.

• jakkom
    7 years ago

Patty_V, sorry you think I came off bossy. I certainly didn't mean to. Of course it's hard rearranging furniture - we're in our 60's and a recent re-arrangement of our MBR and LR furniture required two appts with a pro mover who specializes in small moves, as well as 15 min from some younger friends who had to help my DH hold up a teak bookcase while I reset and screwed in the back so it would stop slipping off.

Ah, the things DH and I used to do all by ourselves....now we plan things better :).

I rearranged our own LR, not because I had to, but because I was tired of it after 26 yrs and it was never quite "right". So I thought the OP felt similarly about her front room. She did not put in any qualifiers in her post, if you will recall, regarding furniture placement.

Keeping the loveseat where it is to look at the bunnies is very sweet (I was born in the Year of The Rabbit, in fact - go bunnies!). Ingrid's made some minor changes to the FR, and I do like it better. Her beautiful vases are much more easily seen and appreciated.

We collect Asian art and mineral specimens. Every couple of years I move things around. It keeps the eye "fresh".

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jakkom
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

" I don't know if I'm constitutionally capable of having a rug without any pattern"-haha! that sounds like me. that's why I probably don't own a rug at all yet-it's one thing to buy another throw pillow because you love the pattern; but I can't afford all these potential rugs..:)

Original Author
    7 years ago

jakkom, I'm glad you like the small changes. It's true, I set no limits on what to do in the front room, but my poor husband has been made to do a lot of things lately so at the moment I'll let him have a break.. A new love seat or cover on this one is next, but not this month. At the moment I'm concentrating on the master bedroom since the new comforter set came in today. I'd love to see your Asian pieces though.

april, one place that will let you return a rug at no charge is esalerug. Have you looked at that site yet? I've already returned three rugs and they haven't sent a hit man after me yet. (I did finally condescend to buy one.)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

No, I've never seen it. But I will check it now:) Thank you so much!