SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

It's Purple Martin time.

caroline94535
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

After coming home from the grocery store yesterday I was busy handing bags to DH. He glanced over at the PM pole and said "There's 'a bird' in Gourd 1."

Yes indeed! We saw our first Purple Martin of the 2016 season on April 25. There was another adult female in Gourd 4.

They are right on schedule and the weather is horrible. It was 35 degrees this morning, rain, hard wind, and cold. It's 41 now; they can't hunt/feed at these temps, but they are here anyway.

I've not seen any today. They are either hunkered down in the cedar shavings inside the gourds, or hopefully they've moved on somewhere warmer and dryer to feed and then return in a few days.

Gourd 1; it was dark and cloudy so it's probably hard to see her sweet little face.

Gourd 4; you can see the water running down the gourds.

-

Earlier in the same day, I was taking photos to try to decide which storm door to install. I was in a hurry (cold and raining) and focused on the door. I didn't notice the little face watching me from Gourd 4.

When I started enlarging the photo this morning I realized she was back several hours earlier than we had noticed!

I hope you can see her here. The "bird" on the hanging arm is a decoy.

This year's oddity is that two adult females were the first to return. Usually I have several adult males, or adult males with one or two adult females as the first arrivals. Each year is the same, and each year is a bit different. Each year is l exciting, heart breaking, heart warming, full of music and aerial displays, and then eggs, eggs, and more eggs - and chicks!

Comments (5)