SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Chicks poppin' out all over! (Purple Martins)

10 years ago

I thought the Pop! Pop-pop! Pop! last night was firecrackers, but it must have been the Purple Martins' eggs bursting forth with chicks!

I did a nest check this afternoon to see how the birds' fared during the mayhem of fireworks last night. We don't do fireworks, but the town in general seemed to explode at dusk.

As of today, July 5, I have 12 nests with 43 chicks and 18 eggs. I was so surprised. I do a walk-around every day and have not seen one empty egg shell. I have not noticed a lot of feeding frenzy, but then the chicks are tiny still.

They added four eggs to a nest that had been empty the last time I checked, June 26. Nest 5 seemed to have lost two eggs. There had been five; now there are three chicks but no more eggs that I could see. I didn't poke around under the pinkies; they were too small to bother.

It's so hot. Most of the chicks, even though very tiny, were spread out from one another and all stretched out. We will get high temps - upper 90s, the occasional 100 - but not until well into August (after the PMs have fledged) and then the high temps don't last long with nights still dipping low.

Not this year. It's 98 right now and has been in the upper 90s for the past week. I worry for the little guys.

The eight gourds on the top tier are completely filled and active. Of the eight on the bottom tier, three have no sign of habitation other than a bit of mud around the entry. One gourd, #15, still has a well built nest, complete with egg cup, but no eggs.

One nest has a shiny wrapper from an expended firework in it; another has a large pink and blue bubble gum wrapper. Gourd 3 has the largest chicks; the ones in Gourd 6 seemed hungry. They were all gapping at me. The chicks in Gourds 8 and 10 seemed the hottest. Those gourds are facing mostly west. No mites; no dampness; no HOSPs so far.

When the chicks are hot they spread out as in this photo.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor