SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Seeing Purple: Purple Martins in Larimore!

caroline94535
11 years ago

My season of joy has begun.

The Purple Martins arrived here at 4:47 p.m. on 29 April 2013.

I was busy in the kitchen when I heard the long-awaited burbling, chortling chatter. I ran outside and saw about 25 martins high overhead. I lowered the rack, removed plugs from the gourds, and raised it back up.

Before I could get back to the front door several of the martins had already nose-dived into the gourds. I know they are my vets; they didn't even slow down when going into the gourds.

When the front door is open, I can see the gourds from the kitchen. As I was moving around the room preparing supper, I noticed the female in Gourd 8 watching me. Her head moved to follow what I was doing in the house. I went out on the front deck to talk to her and let her get a better look. Indulge my moment of anthropomorphism; I know she remembered me!

Of course it was cloudy and cooler all afternoon and there was a nasty, drizzly rain. It makes me happy to know the gourds are clean, dry, and cozily packed with cedar shavings. I imagine they're tired when they arrive; tired, cold, and glad to be "home." They will be dry and warm and safe tonight.

The photo is of last year's birds.

Comments (19)